Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP!!!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
On the way back from my consents house on Sunday my truck started missing really bad but then it kinda went away?? Now it will miss all the time UNLESS I ease into the throttle REALLY slow!! Where should I start?? my plugs look fairly new and the wires all look ok, and the points on my rotor seem to be fine too??? And BTW its not throwing any codes... so idk where to start???

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Check fuel pressure?

Did you actually try to pull the codes or are you just assuming it didnt throw any because the light didnt come on...?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Check fuel pressure?

Did you actually try to pull the codes or are you just assuming it didnt throw any because the light didnt come on...?

I hooked the code reader up to it and did a running test, and a key on engine off test (KOEO) too and didnt get ANYTHING!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good man.

Check the fuel pressure at the rail, might be a fuel supply problem.

Do you have dual tanks? Try switching to the other tank and seeing how it runs. Each tank has it's own pump so this is a good way to diagnose a bad fuel pump.

Could also be a clogged up fuel filter but its pretty implausible that it would create a problem like this so quickly.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I will have to try to switch pumps..thats a good idea. But to me the way my exhaust sounds ( I have no muffler) so I can really hear the way its running and it REALLY sounds like its missing, thats why i immediately started thinking ignition system. BUT I am gonna try my other tank real fast......

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Could also be a bad ignition coil. It's fairly common for an ignition coil to have INTERMITTENT problems when it's going south... Which might explain why it ran fine for a while.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
NOPE not a fuel problem!! Just switched tanks and it didnt make a single difference! So you think the coil huh....?? I think ill start with that then...

Michigan
Cant really visually check the wires. Change wires, plugs, cap, rotor and see where that takes ya.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Michigan
Its still running, so the coil would be the last thing i would suspect.

Michigan
Id change the cheap stuff first. Saying they are all probably original lol

Michigan
Well sure, you can diagnose. But every coil ive ever seen go bad stops instantly, with a no start. Has alot of volts going through that thing to work on and off. Shorting out would cause everything to melt inside that sucker.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
GOOD NEWS!!..... I am an IDIOT!! Turns out when I was at mikes house and I took my spark plug out to check it, I CRACKED the porcelain putting it back in LOL. Went to the auto store got the new plug and BAM runs like a champ!! BTW they SPARK EVERYWHERE when you crack them LOL!!

GOOD NEWS!!..... I am an IDIOT!! Turns out when I was at mikes house and I took my spark plug out to check it, I CRACKED the porcelain putting it back in LOL. Went to the auto store got the new plug and BAM runs like a champ!! BTW they SPARK EVERYWHERE when you crack them LOL!!

Glad you got it fixed.

A cracked plug makes a cool light show at night though. :wavey:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Mike i had a Dodge (yuck) had a bad coil in it.....it would start and run but it acted like it had a bad FF......it won't necessarily kill everything inside...expecially if a wire came loose or solder broke loose on it.....they make the rubber vibration dampener kits for coil for a reason...glad you got it fixed man.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Glad u got her fixed .

Ford coils will lose strength. Also these r known for corrosion in the injector harness Causing miss the will come and go.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Got to this thread late , but I was gonna say check the plugs. Had the exact thing happen to one of mine recently, started with a small miss then got worse.
Glad you got it going good again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts