Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with reading Check Engine Codes

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i finally got a vid of my codes. my old mini SD card craped out and i got a new one. as most of you know ive been trying to find why my truck has a misfire and is not having the power it did when i rebuilt th motor 2 years ago. well here is the codes

here is how i think it breaks down

flutter----84---84---1---33---41---33---41

so judging by that i have a code 84, 33, and 41

84 = EGR Vacuum Solenoid circuit failure.
33 = EGR valve opening not detected.
41 = HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side).

this is all KOEO and according to www.fordfuelinjection.com code 84 is a KOEO code while codes 33,41 are Continuous Memory codes

basically im looking for a yes that is correct travis or know your doing it wrong . and possibly help with this. i think i have finally found my problems hopefully.

here is the video(sorry its kinda crappy but i do have music in there for ya haha)

also when i started it up at the end of the KOEO test it blinked 3 times (the revving of the motor is me trying to rev it to 2500RPM's)

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes during a KOEO test it will read out both KOEO codes (problems that exist RIGHT NOW as it is performing the self test) and also CM codes (problems that happened sometime while you were driving it, and got stored in memory).

I don't know about counting the blinks, never done it. Just buy a damned reader! 'smiliedoh'

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
That looks correct. Fix the code 84 first, then clear codes and drive the truck. Rescan to check and see if you fixed the problem. My bet is that once you fix the vacuum circuit (code 84) you will have fixed the problem and the other to codes will go away.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yupp your counting it right 41 is just to change the oxygen sensor.. i had the same code with the old inline six..

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
The 84 has nothing to do with a vacuum circuit. That indicates the ECM did not detect current through the solenoid when the output turned on. I.E. either a wire to the solenoid is broken, or the solenoid is broken. But yes, attend to that issue, and the 33 will go away with it. A 41 can be caused by a crudded up O2 sensor if it's been running rich at sometime, and is now covered with soot. If it ain't sooty, then, it's probably running lean for some reason. Start with intake/vacuum leaks to see if you find anything there. If the EGR opens too soon, that too will trigger a 41.

The three flashes at the end were the engine ident. Normally, to run the KOER, turn the ignition back off, wait a few minutes, then immediately start the engine without allowing KOEO to initialize. Those three quick flashes say you have a 6 banger (which you have confirmed). Revving the engine at the time you did will yeild no results. There is a sequence to the tests. If you have a manual transmission, that will include turning the steering wheel, since your ECM won't be looking for a BOO switch, but WILL be looking for the PS Pressure switch. At some point, yes, a WOT check is done by flooring it for about a second. That tests a lot of things at once. Once the test inputs are completed, you will get the KOER codes. Those, we never saw.

Oh yeah, btw, make sure you run either test on a warm engine, or you'll get a lot of nuisance codes that don't mean diddly, and will certainly make it fail the KOER test. If you get a 97 at the end of the KOER, that means you did something wrong, and you get to do it all over again.

If you just feel like blowing $200 for a scanner, go for it. OBD-I scanners ain't cheap now. But, for the price of a paper clip, and that CEL, you have a really good code reader that will work EVERY time. All ya gotta do is count. Looks like you've got that down.

BTW, what you are seeing, is a single code 84, and then the 33 and 41 together. The EEC-IV repeats itself just to make sure you counted right.

For more info, see fordfuelinjection.com. They're catering more to the mustang crowd now, but still have a lot of info for our trucks there too.

Oh yeah, one more thing. A neat little trick you can do is wait for the KOEO to finish. Before you turn off the ignition switch. push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and let it back up. That will toggle the outputs on and off, according to the EEC info I've read. I have seen the CEL come on, but didn't hear anything else operate (solenoids/relays).

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
thanks for the helps guys.

yeah i kinda figured the code 84 was the main code to fix first. as for the O2 sensor im replacing that next week anyway....its original from 1989....i think its time haha. the EGR control solenoid is new so im thinking it must be wiring or PCM. ill test it tomorrow at post the results.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok here is some info on the EGR Vacuum Control Solenoid.

KOEO

Ground---------------Power
11.96V---o----o-----12.00V

KOER

Ground---------------Power
13.87V---o----o-----13.87V

now this test was done 2 weeks ago. im honestly not sue if the KOER test was done when the engine was hot so ill ty it again tomorrow and see what i get.

Ford Truck Articles