Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

help for a good buddy (E4OD ?)

My buddy at work who's been a big help to me is having transmission problems and I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys.........

It's a 1994 F-150 with a 300 and an E4OD. Problem is that the shift points are way off. The engine RPMs are really high when it shifts from gear to gear. He says it shifts smoothly though when it finally does shift.

The transmission has been fine for the couple years he's owned it, but this problem just started the other night out of the blue. He changed the filter, and it still is not shifting right.

Trans fluid was not burnt and not low.

He says the Haynes book is no help. What do you think?

Thank you, I'll take any suggestions. I haven't got a clue but I know alot of guys out here will know.

This friend of mine has helped me with parts for my truck and also giving me advice on painting and working on the truck, but he's stumped on this transmission thing.

i dont see a high RPM Shift being smooth.. i have a 1994 5.0 E4OD, same thing was happening.. im told its the solenoid pack.. sooo im buying a reman tranny and throwing it in, cheaper for me than re-building..

im guessing it has a real hard time finding OD or staying in OD... ask him if its "neutraling out".. im betting if he hits the gas more b4fore it shifts, it will act like it in neutral

Solenoid pack wont require A rebuild. All shifts are high... no slipping?

depends on how long its been doing it, mine did it too long and stared to burn the clutches

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
That is true, if its hunting for gears to much that means lots of slipping from the clutches which means lots of heat which leads to more slipping of the clutces and bang, rebuild.

blacksnapon

Staff member
SHIFT CONCERNS: SHIFT TIMING — EARLY/LATE Possible Component Reference/Action
211 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System Perform shift point test.

Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Tests "A", and "B" using the Transmission Tester (007-00085) as outlined in this manual. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

(Throttle position sensor, transmission oil temperature sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2, engine RPM)
Other Electrical Concerns
No power to powertrain control module, Keep Alive Memory erased from powertrain control module
Restore memory by performing Drive Cycle Test.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module improperly programmed or damaged
Refer to Service Manual for programmable speedometer/odometer module diagnostic and programming procedures.

311 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Other
Tire size change
Refer to the specification decal on door panel and verify that vehicle has original equipment. Changes in tire size or axle ratio may affect shift timing.

Speedometer gear change (model dependant)

Axle ratio change

Main Controls
— Valves, accumulators, stuck or damaged Inspect for damage, contamination. Service as required.

— Gaskets damaged Inspect for damage and replace.

— Bolts not tightened to specification Retighten bolts to specification.

Ford Truck Articles