Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP!!! 91' F250 Driver side Spindle Can't get back on!!!!

Someone help a newbie out here.... (OK..... from the Top, drivers side, by the way) Removed my hub, Removed the rotor (spare the details) went to remove the spindle, removed the two nuts for each ball joint, was able to break the top ball joint free from the knuckle but the bottom one was siezed (like everything on this truck, Rust bucket). So took the grinder with the metal cut wheel and cut it off. Out came the spindle with axle. Replaced the Ball joints in the Spindle and Replaced the U-Joints in the Axle (cut 'em out and pressed in new.. Easy enough..) Well of course i thought so till i tried to re-install the spindle with the Axle... Doooooh!!! I cannot for the life of me get the axle and spindle mounted back on. I push the axle back in the pumpkin, it slides in with no problem but it doesn't allow me enough vertical adjustment to get the ball joint stems back through the knuckles. What's the trick. Someone pllllsss.... I swear, it almost looks like i would have to take apart the axle u-joints, mount the spindle, then press the u-joints back together once the spindle is installed.... REALLLY,,, nahhh couldn't be..... Someone Tell this newbie, First Time Ford Ball joint installer, how it's done ... thanks to anyone who can help....

it feels good to be an idiot. :headbang: just noticed they were two pieces when you replied. Didn't have to seperate them initially cause i just cut the bottom ball joint off. Appreciate the response!... Hey would you know of any good schematic sites for my truck? 91' F250. I'm a drawing type of guy and if i had some wouldn't have had this problem to begin with. Thanks again! :)

Another question... :)

Another quick question.... to seperate the spindle from the knuckle i unbolted the 6-8 nuts. I hit it a couple times with the chizle to see if it would break loose and it didn't budge. Given it probably hasn't been taken apart since factory and all the rust i'm sure it's not gonna come easy. But is this something i should press out? Or is this something just a few more wacks with hammer/chizel will do... I'm done for the night, got the baby sleeping and god knows the wife will be screaming. Appreciate the input... Thanks again Dan... :)

primetime

sawmill slave
The hammer and chisel works but it`s a pita. The best way is with a spindle socket that screws onto the spindle threads and then attaches to slide hammer. Got mine for $60 off the Snap-On truck 10 years ago, however OTC and others offer them cheaper now. Also the Ford truck shop manual suggests wrapping the spindle in something suitably heavy (the little womans latest Cosmo, for exampe), and the striking the spindle with an appropriate soft faced mallet. DO NOT grab your framing hammer and turn into the happy wacker guy. You will wreck your spindle. Hope this helps.

Ford Truck Articles