Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help - 460 Uses LOTS of Oil

Looking for some input. I have a 1995 F350 crew cab with 460 & automatic. I bought it in Florida and drove it home to Missouri, and added a quart of oil. Had the oil changed 2000 miles ago. After about 1,000 miles the lifters started rattling and I added 3 quarts of oil to full. After another 1,000 miles I added 6 more quarts of oil! I think it only holds seven, and the lifters never did make any noise the second time. The underneath side of the truck is dry. No leaks, and the truck does not smoke at all. I would think burning a quart every 166 miles would smoke like crazy. The coolant is not milky. The only difference between originally, and now that I can think of is that the RH exhaust manifold has developed a head-to-manifold gasket leak that I have not addressed yet, but can't think of how that would cause oil burning. I have not checked compression yet, but just wondering if someone out there is thinking oh yea, I know what that is. So, I am stumped. Any ideas?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Chances are valve seals or rings are trash but it'd almost have to be smoking to lose that much oil.. But you may just not be seeing it..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Not being mechanically inclined, I'd go with what Chris is saying.....might not be seeing it.

You both are probably right right, but I think I have been watching closely for that. If it is guides you can usually see the smoke clearly in the headlights of a car behind when you mash the throttle, or even continually if it is rings, but I see nothing at all day or night. I think bad valve stem seals would smoke just when you first start the engine and again I see nothing. Not sure why I am saying all this, because if the underside is dry it has to be burning. I am just greatly surprised that it runs good and I see no smoke. I will pay more attention.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I had a 350 chevy once that did that... Never could tell where the oil was going but it used about 2 quarts in 500 miles.

My guess would be it needs rings and you're just not seeing the smoke. You don't happen to be running mobil1 or something in it are you? Synthetic oils will not produce visible smoke. At least not in any quantity that you would notice.

Thanks. Not using synthetic oil. Valvoline changed the oil, so I suspect it is a Valvoline conventional oil product.

I will try to get around to checking compression this weekend.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
The valvoline conventional is a very good oil... It's not a quality of oil issue that's for sure..

Just btw..

I work for valvoline but am not biased... IMO..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Ford Truck Articles