Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headers

Headers for my 1967 Ford f250 4wd. My new truck has an exhaust leak. I thought it was a bad doughnut on the drivers side. It is not! It is a cracked manifold. What an extreme bummer! I was thinking headers. Like to get a set, put like a couple short cherry bomb header mufflers and have the exhaust come out just in front of the rear tires. What think? Would this be too loud? I am small town but we have a police chief that will bust you for not combing your hair in the morning:headbang: .

My engine is a 352 with a 4-speed. I assume headers are easily found? Are they going to be very expensive? I don't want a real cheap set. On the other hand I can't afford the best. What think? Thanks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When it comes to headers...you get what you pay for. If you want a set that will leak and rust out in a couple of years...go cheapies. If you want something that will outlast your engine, get super thick flanges and all the extra coatings available. Beyond that...most have good luck with Hooker competition headers and paint them down with either bbq grill paint or store bought coatings.

As far as noise...the shorter the length and the bigger the diameter, the louder a glasspack is going to be.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Cracked manifolds are not unusual on the FE block engines...

As Ben said, headers cost whatever you want to pay. Your biggest problem is going to be getting the exhaust manifold bots out of the head. Lots of PB/LiquidWrench/whatever you use and a oxy/fuel torch with a rosebud tip, preferably. It's quite a job. Pack a lunch - don't be in a hurry and break them off.

One thing GM actually did do better. Exhaust bolt holes are all blind on the GM engines. No rust, no siezed bolts.

I ran into cracked / broken manifolds on FEs all the time when I was working as a mechanic. Plan on breaking bolts. They are usually wore down to the point that they are barely there.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Please check out my gallery :) I have pictures of all what you want to do, including pictures of the cracked stock manifold! I went with shorty's and my exhaust is true dual which exits out in front of the rear wheels on each side. With headers, the total cost of my system was $1000.00, and yes, you get what you pay for. I had no problems for removal of the stock manifolds, all bolts came out easily. PM me for more info if you need.

cheers

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
The "FE" series engine's are prone to breaking off the manifold bolts,be warned as stated above.Newer model trucks have better grade of exhaust manifold bolts.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts