Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Head Gasket Blew - New Motor Time

Well, after 169000 miles, the 'ol 460 up and died. Things started going south one morning (Wednesday) when I went to start her up for work. It sat there in the driveway and idled a bit rough initially and then cleared up after a few minutes. That afternoon, she wouldn't start. I checked the battery (of course), found the positive terminal loose, snugged that down and drove home. Got out the trusty wrench, tightened said terminal, and thought 'all is well in the world.'

Thursday morning, however, the world stopped spinning. I got in to start her up for work, and nothing! Checked the positive terminal...still snug. Checked the negative terminal...snug, too. Went in and got out the voltmeter...12 volts at the battery. Tried starting her again and she fired...but running rough. Back to the battery with the meter...yep...14 volts and change. Then, it happened...a big puff of steam off the back of the motor near the firewall. First thought was a freeze plug went (it's been cold here in Nebraska). So, I dove under to check things out. Couldn't see any coolant running out of the backside of the block...checked out the plug that I had replaced recently on the passenger side...still good. That's when I noticed coolant leaking out of the junction of the passenger-side header collector-to-exhaust pipe. And, she was making some odd noises at the oil pan. So, I went to the tail pipes. I gunned it and a huge plume of white smoke (steam) came out. I shut it off, pulled the oil dipstick...still black. But the level looked high. Not a good sign.
So, since it's my daily driver, I called the engine guy and we're putting in a reman this week. Sure, I could have had the head gaskets replaced but the labor for that was almost the same as for an engine swap...and I'd still be left with a tired motor. At least this way, I get new power and piece of mind. Just wanted to give everyone an update. smiliecrybaby

Sorry to hear that! Cheer up a bit though, at least you got more miles than we got out of our 460, we lost a con rod at 101,248.3 mi. Rebuild set us back$2657. plus change with "improvements".
Hope the new power puts a smile on your face for years to come.

I was at the local boneyard today and they have 2 460's on the floor comlete for $250 each. Both are marked "Runs but not good" and are complete from carb to oil pan, fan to flex plate in north central WI 54401

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
stinks to hear about a motor giving up the ghost, but there's also a sense of pride driving around a vehicle that you know is improved.

Ryan

stinks to hear about a motor giving up the ghost, but there's also a sense of pride driving around a vehicle that you know is improved.

Ryan
Yeah...I'm looking forward to driving it with the new motor. It will also give me confidence to take more roadtrips with it. I'm hoping that I'll feel a big difference in the performance (back to OEM new) and perhaps eek out a few MPGs along the way!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts