Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Having trouble with browsers

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
So I don't know where the root of the problem lies. I do know that right now, using Firefox 3.6 if I move to another tab for just a few moments, when I come back to FTF I have to log in again.

I recently had to uninstall Firefox and NoScript...the beta version just kept crashing. Now I have this log-in trouble. I try not to use IE6 if I have Firefox open...that guarantees one or both will lock-up or crash.

Anyone have any suggestions. Oh, yeah, my computer guy absolutely had a fit when I upgraded to IE7 (before IE8 was out) and he even uninstalled IE7 and re-installed IE6. He was NOT happy with my independent venture into browser upgrade-land. Did I mention the computer guy is my son? He's very strict with his Dad when it comes to computers.

All I know is the longer we go with this computer stuff, the "better" it supposedly gets, the harder it is to maintain it.

Sometimes I think technology will be our undoing...or not.smiliecrybaby

Last edited:

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
If that doesn't work, try Google Chrome. I've been using it for quite some time now with no issues. It also has ad blockers and all the goodies of firefox.

Blade

Backwoods boy
Are you clicking the little box after you type in your username and pass?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yep google. chrome here also. i absolutely love it.. ive been using it since about a week after it came out and have not had any problems that were google chrome related. and i converted Ann last fall and she loves it also.

Chris is no longer our Firefox man? I like my woodgrain add-on for firefox so I'll keep it. I also have no idea why he would make such a big deal about IE7.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
FTF will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity (I think it's 15 but it could be 20). If you keep the box next to your name checked, it will keep you locked in but keep in mind that the 'memory' vbulletin has of your visit will be reset each time you 'time out' with inactivity. You won't be able to tell unread posts from ones you've already covered.

Ryan

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
15 minutes?

I haven't timed it exactly, but it logs me out way before 15 minutes, depending on when it starts timing. It doesn't use a "slide" on the same page as a time starter. I can't answer someone on Facebook without being logged out.

I will often have 3, 4, 5 FTF smilieFordlogo windows open, reading one while another loads. I can't keep then all active with a 15 minute fuse.

Could it be lengthened just a bit?

Oh, BTW, I have changed to Chrome and started to look back once, but didn't want to turn into a pillar of salt. I think it has crashed twice in as many months, and that may have been related to either internet connection issues or the fact that I has 20-30 tabs open all at once.

Firefox was as good once, but is too loaded down now.

IE: Here is what I used to think, but I'll use trucks as my allusion. I like things stock. I like my vehicles to be as close to the way they were built as possible unless I research something and go through my own modification process. I like to use OEM parts to keep the vehicles that way, but the reality of cost, with some OEM parts costing twice the top-of-the-line NAPA parts, convinces me that sometimes I am far better off with whatever NAPA or an internet outlet provides.

And so it was with IE6. I tried IE7 and it didn't work well on my old laptop. So IE and Firefox are now relegated to the role of back-up browser.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm... Ryan, I've never had that issue- Now OR "back then" lol...
MY SUGGESTION here, rather than bail on FF is just to Tools> Internet Options> Privacy tab, then "SITES button" and add http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/
as a preferred site.
Also, whenever you choose to delete your browsing history, do not just "delete all": just your temp files, cookies and site history. That way you won't lose your stored passwords- bear in mind, you will have to log in again, but the name and password should auto-fill, so it's not such a nuisance!

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Something is different!

I don't know if someone cut the fuse longer or my assuring I check the box everytime I log in, but I was able to stay on for over an hour with long periods of inactivity (while reading/writing) and never got unplugged once!

If someone did something...thanks!!:)

I wasn't meaning to :hammer: , it was just frustrating to write something only to learn I was logged out. There is a way to save what was written, but this site is rare in allowing that to happen. Some sites you lose what you wrote and can't back button to it.
:wavey:

Ford Truck Articles