Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Has anyone ever tried this

I had a guy tell me yesterday that when he had diesel trucks he used to put about a pint of automatic transmission fluid in each take of fuel to clean and lube the fuel system. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I had a guy tell me yesterday that when he had diesel trucks he used to put about a pint of automatic transmission fluid in each take of fuel to clean and lube the fuel system. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Hate to tell you this, but trans fluid isn't meant to be used in the fuel for combustion. Its just going to foul everything downstream. Ford does manufacture lubricity additives if you're worried about it. We've got a couple of guys that burn primarily trans fluid, and they've been experiencing injector and injector pump failures. One is a 7.3, the other a cummins. There is no cetane value to trans fluid and the 6.0 and 6.4 are particularly sensitive to it. My advice, don't do it.

Larry B

Larry B
On a paving job I worked on we had a roller that had a fuel tank and HYD tank all in one tank with a divider between them. The divider split and let the two oils mix and we ran it for quite a while. It finally would not pull the load any more. I pulled the injectors and there were big carbon tails around each port. Wrecked the injectors. I would not run any oil that was not designed to burn. Parts just cost too much money to experment with.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
we also use 2 stroke over here..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts