Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hard start rough running

I have a 2006 f-250 Super Duty with the 6.0L Diesel engine. After the truck has been sitting over night it starts hard and belches black smoke until I rev the engine a few times. It will then run fine the rest of the day. The next morning when I go to start it, the whole process starts again. Any ideas?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 2006 f-250 Super Duty with the 6.0L Diesel engine. After the truck has been sitting over night it starts hard and belches black smoke until I rev the engine a few times. It will then run fine the rest of the day. The next morning when I go to start it, the whole process starts again. Any ideas?
Have you had any recent charging or battery issues? Low voltage negatively affects FICM operation.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Its entirely possible. Generally, an EGR valve wont just stick, loosen up then stick again (but I've been fooled before by the 6.0). Its easy enough to pull out to inspect though. 2 5/16 bolts, remove the plug, turn with channel locks, then using a "lady foot" prybar under the ears to remove.

Thanks, I will try that. I have also heard that there is a fuel pump sensor that causes these syptoms. Do you know what that sensor is called?

I pulled the EGR valve out and cleaned it. Replaced, but it is still doing the same thing. I try and start it but as soon as if fires, it kills. Cannot get it to stay running.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks, I will try that. I have also heard that there is a fuel pump sensor that causes these syptoms. Do you know what that sensor is called?
There is no fuel pump sensor, but I'm guessing that you're talking about the IPR or the ICP sensor. And no, they wont cause it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts