Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Greys 88 F150 from the top

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
Okay guys so again I'm new. First Domestic car ever let alone a truck and man I am excited. This thread here is going to be my top to bottom, beginning to end story of my new truck. So again I'm new, not new to forums so i can take the bashing! Feel free to correct me on anything if I am wrong or fill me in on things that I am missing. Really excited to get into this truck with my heart and learn some cool new stuff. On this page you will find all my projects with pictures and semi how to guides *or how I did*.

KNOWN ISSUES AS OF NOW: Ripped front seat, punctured front gas tank and rear is about to go. Leaking oil from trans, leaking powersteering fluid, Needs a front alignment, wiring issue with blinkers *not a fuse, tried it*, lots of rust in the cab, Hood is pretty $$$$ed up, and the trucks feelings are deeply hurt. Does not look like it has been serviced once since 88.

AS IS: Right now I have a bone stock 1988 Ford F250 XLT. 302 5.0L v8 gas gubbler with 2 tanks. Looks like it was rattle canned black all the way around. Branded Title with 88k Miles. Decent interior with only one seat torn thus being the driver seat. quite a bit of rust but, what do you expect from an 88?

NEAR FUTURE PLANS: First off id like to get it completely serviced and aligned, as well as figure out how the hell to get some of these bolts undone, clearly being able to see they have not been loosened or tightened since 1988 :hammer:. I would like to Reupholster the bench's and swap to a black interior from the blue. Second I would like to fix all the rust either that be sheet metal and welding or some good ol bondo love. Third I need to get a new hood *cowl maybe?*. Fourth, clean the toolbox out. Lastly I would like to put a decent paint job on it, nothing to pricy, plastidip if i must just to get rid of the nasty rattle can black.

FAR FUTURE PLANS: Want to start piecing together a nice solid freshly built 302, make it nice and purty all ported, polished, and forged. Upgrade to braided hoses, and an engine bay tuck. 4'' Lift with some nice wide fat black wheels and tires. Throw a guard on the front. dual Pipes out the bed *dependent on the tool box*. Replace the interior floor carpet with diamond plating. Off road jack on the bumper.

ALL IN ALL: I really want to go for a nice stock look, nothing too off roady or nasty looking. Really like the Idea of Orange on black. Not sky jacked but it reads bad $$$ truck while at the same time maintaining the DD availability.

SO, NOW FOR THE GOOD PART! PICTURES! This is my truck as of now, just as i bought it.

*If you have any suggestions, input, corrections or bashing for the above statements please feel free to shed some light*

35he421.jpg

2cnjgra.jpg

33wma1g.jpg

140vk9z.jpg

9k6wsl.jpg

20qf2w3.jpg

wqr04n.jpg

2zjc5dd.jpg

29ly8pj.jpg

19ryq0.jpg

accgj.jpg

Fail of the day 4/23/13: When to go get gas, filled up the wrong tank. My car is now currently draining itself of 8 gallons of gas... Cant wait to fix that..

Enjoy everyone, feel free to put in your 2 cents.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
My 92 suffers the fuel tank issues as well...back tank is compleatly gone and front tank holds 8 gallons from bone dry empty up to the rusted thro hole, im just replacing the front one tho....

Oh and welcome aboard!

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
Thanks for the input!! Im going to end up replacing them both eventually but for right now Im going to work on the front one since its already empty. May be easier to work with then once thats fixed, drive the back one down to empty and run off the front so i can repair the rear.

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck man. Depending on the size of the holes in the tanks, you could use some JB Weld to patch till you can afford a replacement.

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck man. Depending on the size of the holes in the tanks, you could use some JB Weld to patch till you can afford a replacement.

Ive thought about patching it, but it looks like Summit Racing has some OE tanks for around 90$ which will have to do for now. Hardest part right now is deciding what i want to do and how to do it as far as body work and stuff goes because i have NEVER welded anything, and wouldnt know where to start.

JBWeld is an epoxy. I've used the fast curing one to fix motorcycle tanks on the road. Works really good!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Once these rust no amount of jb will slow leak it will leak just beside it . Most times it behind straps for the back and seams on front

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
No body noticed? Its not a F250, its only 5 Lug. Its an F150.

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
Looks like you guys are right. THANK YOU for pointing that out before i went and bought all the wrong parts haha. Il get the Vin for you later. Headed to Pepboys to get my brakes checked.

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
Got it for ya, Grey...

Thank you for this! Okay so I took the truck in to get the tires rotated and the Brakes checked. Not good at all, the Brakes are horrible. And they want 620$ to replace the front pads and rotors, and the rear drums. and thats the price IF the Calipers dont cease up. Now I know how to do brakes myself but my question is, do they make Drilled and Slotted rotors for my years of F150? and should I do a rear disc conversion? Or just do a standard rotar pad caliper swap in the front and new drums in the rear? I would like to do discs in the rear but working on a budget. Could save alot of money just buying parts and doing it Myself.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes I put drilled and slotted on my 88 Bronk. I get em off ebay.

I use Rockauto.com for most of my repair parts. LMCTruck.com has some great parts pages to help figure things out but make sure that you price compare. 95F350XL was talking about the front brakes. I've been looking for a rear disk conversion for the Ford 8.8 made for the trucks myself.

GreyPass

Grey Passmore
I use Rockauto.com for most of my repair parts. LMCTruck.com has some great parts pages to help figure things out but make sure that you price compare. 95F350XL was talking about the front brakes. I've been looking for a rear disk conversion for the Ford 8.8 made for the trucks myself.

Yeah that would be nice to find! Definitely will price check and compare thank you!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts