Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Greetings! What would you do if......

Kellyk100rs

Life's better at 135mph.
Hi All,
This is my first post and deals with my current situation if you can call it that. I've been struggling for months now deciding what truck and which engine I am going to keep and sell off all of the others. It's a case of too many choices and the time has come to make one. How I got here is a long and boring story as I do not own my own junk yard but, at the end of the day, I'm only keeping one truck. My only parameters are that whatever I keep is going to be a daily driver and I don't tow, haul, or go off road. My goal is to end up with a ground up restoration vehicle that is fun to drive and that I can be proud of . So, without adding any more to it, I thought I would just list my vehicles and engines that I currently own and just ask......If it were you, what would you do? I'm hoping that this will be at the very least, an entertaining mental exercise. So here's my list; 74 F-100 Custom 302/C-4 front discs, air, PS. 73 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 360/C-6 ,PS,PB. 68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 460/C-6 conversion,PS,PB,Factory Air (nice), lot's of work done already and no rust. 73 F-250 Ranger Camper Special (parts truck) Cab and bed are 73 but it currently sits on a 69 4x 4 chassis, rebuilt 390/c-6, 3 speed manual, with a 4" lift kit and 10" rims and tires (width).

I 'm also sitting on a bare block rebuild; DOVE 460 engine stage 4 RV cam (ford racing), roller rockers, mild port and radius competition valve grind with o/sized intake and stock size SS exhaust valves, Edelbrock performer manifold, pro-form 650cfm carb, shorty nickel plated headers that will fit any of the above mentioned trucks. The engines is ready and just needs to be installed....but into what?

Assume I own everything I need as far as parts already. All input is welcome!

Sell them all and get a 78/79 F-100 with an I6 300, A/T in it

The '68 would be the most equitable to keep. pre-70's purists will drool over it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personally, I'm a dentside lover, but pre-80's 4x4's can be a deciding factor as well. If it were me, I'd swap the body and drivetrain of the 68 to the 69 4x4 chassis and be done. And keep the spare/bare 460 to build as a replacement. Then send all your dentside stuff to me (kidding...sorta).

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'd have to agree with Ben. 68/69 4x4 sounds like it would be the coolest.

Cool, you answered your own question...

"fun to drive" = manual transmission

Later on 460's came with a 5 speed ZF.
Otherwise it'd be a 390FE with a T18. :)

Sell all the AT's to the scrap yard, help rid the
truck-world of those sissy-#*% things. :/

Mil1ion is a Canajian so please excuse him. ;)
A 300i6 with a ZF or T18 would be cool tho! :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It depends on your situation and the amount of time you have. If the reason is economic, then I would stay with the '73, since the most work has been done on it, and probably would be the most reliable(based on your description). If you enjoy rebuilds and have the resources, and time, then pick one. They're ALL Fords.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Kellyk100rs

Life's better at 135mph.
you guy's are already reading my mind. Two more considerations that I have; in terms of parlaying them all into a later year, I would be required by local DEQ laws to pass and have it inspected every two years...which means no fun performance upgrades and having to keep all the emissions crap on the vehicle. The other being that, I like the way the 73 f-250 rides and handles the best, I like the slightly lighter (quicker) and more modify friendly front end of the f-100, but for body style, retro coolness and the fact that it's my all time favorite color combination (two tone aqua/parchment) the 68 wins out except for interior comfort and handling (weight). I grind this up into little pieces and spit it back out again....and always find myself self saying.. ****! I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND! Remember, I'm going to be driving in traffic and store parking lots everyday getting to work and running errands. Any other advise. I appreciate the ones so far.

No matter that I am Canadian..My mind always defaults to looks,ride,economy,best bang for the buck.

So there ! ;)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
73 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 360/C-6 ,PS,PB.

Well...I'm not you, but based on what you say about what you want, I'd drive this one, but with a 390 and a 4-speed.

4x4 is cool, but if you're never going to off-road it, I guess I wouldn't bother dragging an extra axle around with me.

*Gas mileage is important to me, 'cause I really like being able to wander hundreds of miles on a weekend without breaking the bank, so none of the options would really suit me as an only truck. 'Course, if the K100RS in your username means what I think it does, maybe you aren't taking the pickup on longer trips anyway...

Kellyk100rs

Life's better at 135mph.
I'm leaning towards that as well. It helps to hear that I'm not thinking these things alone. thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you guy's are already reading my mind. Two more considerations that I have; in terms of parlaying them all into a later year, I would be required by local DEQ laws to pass and have it inspected every two years...which means no fun performance upgrades and having to keep all the emissions crap on the vehicle. The other being that, I like the way the 73 f-250 rides and handles the best, I like the slightly lighter (quicker) and more modify friendly front end of the f-100, but for body style, retro coolness and the fact that it's my all time favorite color combination (two tone aqua/parchment) the 68 wins out except for interior comfort and handling (weight). I grind this up into little pieces and spit it back out again....and always find myself self saying.. ****! I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND! Remember, I'm going to be driving in traffic and store parking lots everyday getting to work and running errands. Any other advise. I appreciate the ones so far.

I think this answered your question...just paint the 73 your favorite scheme and call it good. Alot can be said for a rig that's more enjoyable to drive.

Ford Truck Articles