Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Glasspack?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Anybody running a glasspack muffler on their 351M/400?

I'm tired of how quiet my truck is, and bought a $20 glasspack today while I was in town.

I'm running the stock exhaust back to the stock muffler right now, and no tailpipe after that (it's laying under the porch...has been for years. It rusted off). I shouldn't have any issues just cutting off my muffler, replacing with glasspack, cutting a section out of the old tailpipe, and turning it out to the passenger side should I?

I'm mildly concerned about back pressure, since I'v heard it can burn valves? and as well as what they sound like... I looked online, but audio quality of videos usually isn't that accurate. I have a glasspack on the Monte Carlo with a 350, and I like how it sounds, I assume it will sound close to the same on my 400?

Yeah, I know this is a newb question, but I figured I would ask anyway.. haha

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Shouldn't have any trouble just cutting muffler off. I have a 302 with duals and glasspacks. Sounds great and it's not too loud to take long trips with. My old exhaust with headers used to make my ears ring. Ben will probably pop in here at some point. I think he has glasspacks on Red and the Bronco with 400s in them. I'm not 100% sure on that though. You won't have an issue with back pressure.

I had a Cherry bomb on the 400 when it ran. sounded gret. loud, but not to loud. i think it was about 16" long. fit right over the existing exhaust right before the muffler

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glasspacks FTMFEW!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I have them on the Bronco and Red. Cherry Bombs...8"ers with 3.5" diameter body on the Bronco and bumped back up to 18"ers with 3.5" body on Red...because she's a classy lady. You will have zero issues with what you want to do. You really don't need to start worrying about burnt valves unless you're running open headers.

As for comparison with the Monte, depends on size and diameter. The bigger the tube diameter and the shorter the length, the louder the gpack will be.

Pertaining to what Aaron said, getting it super hot and then cooling it really quick will break up the insides and give you a more aggressive crackle.

So you can hear what a gpack sounds like with a 351M/400 here's a thread of mine when it still had the 351M in it, sounds the same though. Also keep in mind, I have 2.25" pipes, duals and come out in front of the tires...all of which will change the sound compared to yours.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11128

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Shouldn't have any trouble just cutting muffler off. I have a 302 with duals and glasspacks. Sounds great and it's not too loud to take long trips with. My old exhaust with headers used to make my ears ring. Ben will probably pop in here at some point. I think he has glasspacks on Red and the Bronco with 400s in them. I'm not 100% sure on that though. You won't have an issue with back pressure.

I would kinda like to turn it out to the side, I have a feeling dumping under the passenger floor board is gonna make it louder inside. I'll just wait and see.. It may not be that bad, and I may just continue dumping it underneath

Get that sucker Red hot, than stick a water hose up the tailpipe and crank it up full bore...

May do that to the truck and Monte Carlo both...

I had a Cherry bomb on the 400 when it ran. sounded gret. loud, but not to loud. i think it was about 16" long. fit right over the existing exhaust right before the muffler

Alright cool, atleast I know it's not gonna be crazy loud (I don't want it so loud people cover their ears, just loud enough to announce I'm there :D)

Glasspacks FTMFEW!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I have them on the Bronco and Red. Cherry Bombs...8"ers with 3.5" diameter body on the Bronco and bumped back up to 18"ers with 3.5" body on Red...because she's a classy lady. You will have zero issues with what you want to do. You really don't need to start worrying about burnt valves unless you're running open headers.

This glasspack is roughly 20" long, and 3" around.

As for comparison with the Monte, depends on size and diameter. The bigger the tube diameter and the shorter the length, the louder the gpack will be.

Same glasspack as the one I bought for the truck, and turned out in front of the passenger side rear tire.

Sounds pretty good, especially when you step on it..

Pertaining to what Aaron said, getting it super hot and then cooling it really quick will break up the insides and give you a more aggressive crackle.

Like I said up above this post, seriously considering this. smilieFordlogo

So you can hear what a gpack sounds like with a 351M/400 here's a thread of mine when it still had the 351M in it, sounds the same though. Also keep in mind, I have 2.25" pipes, duals and come out in front of the tires...all of which will change the sound compared to yours.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11128

I don't really feel like waiting for the video to load, I have a slow connection... thanks though

BTW, Dad's having a fit about the whole situation... which makes it even more worth while. :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would kinda like to turn it out to the side, I have a feeling dumping under the passenger floor board is gonna make it louder inside. I'll just wait and see.. It may not be that bad, and I may just continue dumping it underneath:

Get a turn down tip and turn it to a 45* and that'll save some noise if you decide to keep the dump.

Alright cool, atleast I know it's not gonna be crazy loud (I don't want it so loud people cover their ears, just loud enough to announce I'm there :D):

It should have a nice rumble

BTW, Dad's having a fit about the whole situation... which makes it even more worth while. :rofl:

I'm not exactly sure I'd bite the hand that feeds me. Outta curiousity, who bought the Bronco, who pays for gas, who pays your insurance and who's gonna have to pay for parts. Last I knew you weren't working. And if you're getting such a kick outta this fit, what's keeping you from taking the top off? You said you didn't wanna have to deal with any 'fits'.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I would exit the exhaust out past the cab/body either just before the rear wheel or exit behind the rear bumper.
the Carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes come in to the cab when you dump them under the body. Not healthy and makes it annoying inside the cab both fumes and sound wise.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Theyll wear out eventually and start soundin louder and louder as time goes by. When I first got the glass packs on the 72 I couldnt hear it but I just let it be and now its alot more noticeable after a year. I only did the hose trick once I didnt stick it up the tail pipes I just sprayed it on the glasspacks till they cooled down. Mine aint cherry bombs and theyre over 2ft long they exit behind the rear tires with 2 1/4 inch pipes.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Get a turn down tip and turn it to a 45* and that'll save some noise if you decide to keep the dump.

I have the old pipe laying under the porch, I can probably cut it off and make it work.

It should have a nice rumble

I hope so..

I'm not exactly sure I'd bite the hand that feeds me. Outta curiousity, who bought the Bronco, who pays for gas, who pays your insurance and who's gonna have to pay for parts. Last I knew you weren't working. And if you're getting such a kick outta this fit, what's keeping you from taking the top off? You said you didn't wanna have to deal with any 'fits'.

Well, I told them both I was gonna do it, and dad didn't say anything at the time.. and mom said that's ok, go for it. So I did... but once dad saw I had bought it, he hasn't really spoken to me. Just kinda mumbled about it at first.

Lastly, It all comes out of my allowence.. they pay for gas, ect. But it's not just free hand outs. They set me a certain amount and I spend it how I want. and not having a job isn't by choice... it's because they won't let me get one.

I would exit the exhaust out past the cab/body either just before the rear wheel or exit behind the rear bumper.
the Carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes come in to the cab when you dump them under the body. Not healthy and makes it annoying inside the cab both fumes and sound wise.

Like I said, it's been like that for years, and I always have the windows down anyway (especially in the summer) so I don't see it being an issue. But I will probably try to turn it to the side..

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Haha it's funny your Dad is throwing a fit. I made a lot of people happy when I went from headers and 2.5" pipe to manifolds and 2" pipe and glasspacks LOL. Everyone enjoyed how quiet it is until you get on it.

And the glasspack sounds good Ben.

I can make a video of mine Tyler if you want, but I have a 302 not a 351m/.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Haha it's funny your Dad is throwing a fit. I made a lot of people happy when I went from headers and 2.5" pipe to manifolds and 2" pipe and glasspacks LOL. Everyone enjoyed how quiet it is until you get on it.

He actually didn't say anything today, just said he wouldn't do it.

I told them I would cut the exhaust off behind the stock muffler, so it could be replaced if I got tired of how loud it is.

Anyway, It's now installed and I'm extremely happy with it. It's a little on the quiet side till you step on it, but it should get louder with time.

I also found a slightly curved piece of pipe that was cut off the Monte Carlo exhaust, That I used as a turn down..

Sounds way better than the stock muffler though.

Also got everything all greased up while I was under there.. u-joints, ect.

Crappy picture..

and both my "toys" (just because I enjoy posting pictures)

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Good job. Now you just gotta post up a vid of how it sounds.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Good job. Now you just gotta post up a vid of how it sounds.

My phone and MP3 player are the only things that record sound.. well, our digital camera records video, but it's in some weird format that I can't upload. (quicktime, I believe?)

I'll see if I can't record it with my MP3 player though..

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
you can send me a quicktime vid and i should be able to get it converted and uploaded for you

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts