Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gen2 vs Gen3 6.0 Powerstroke?

New member, looking for forum experiences with the different generations of PS 6.0, as well as the chassis/body they're put into.

Looking to get a used F-350 (also considering Dodge 3500), 2006 or newer, want to be able to keep it for a good 10-15 years. Will be towing a travel trailer (~9K lbs) for now, but will be moving up to a 5th wheel (~15k and up) in the next 5-6 years.

I've heard everything from "stay away from anything older than 2008" to "300K without a problem with my 2006" - and most opinions in between.

Obviously the fewer miles the better, but there are a lot in the 2006-2008 range with 40K-ish miles, which I think is pretty dern low.

I do have experience with 2000 Dodge 3500 and 1994 Chevy 2500 diesels (will never buy another Chevy!), so know a lot about the importance of routine maintenance & quality fuel. And I really like the Ford cab options & configurations, plus I've spent some time driving the 7.3 & 6.0 in emergency vehicles.

So having said all of this, any tips to consider, points to ponder, success & horror stories are most certainly welcome & appreciated.

Another notable point: I will be installing a high-end Golden Fuel SVO system in a couple of years.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The 6.0 is fine if you take precautions. Quality fuel, regular maintenance.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A friend bought a 2003 new and still has it. There is 200k miles on it and he did have some issues when he got it with the ECM flashes, that took about a year but got resolved. He wound up having to get the EGR cooler replaced last year but other than that he has had no problems.
I have a 2005 with 65k miles on it and have gone through a FICM (warranty covered it)
I get 19 mpg (imp) and have been very happy with the truck.
One suggestion if you are looking for towing a bigger 5th wheel, the SRW units are rated 23500 max combined, so 15k is about the limit without being overweight as per Ford's specs...so you might want to look at a dually or the Tow Boss package.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The 06-07 6.0 are good motors, and the 08-10 6.4 is better. The major chassis changes were last made in 2005. Any of them you choose to buy do your homework and get a look at the Oasis report if you can. Also the VVT turbos do not like to sit around so thoroughly check out any low mileage trucks. The modern EPA controlled diesel does not do well just sitting around, they need to be driven regularly and well maintained.
As far as tow ratings, you need to look closely at the FMC "Towing Guide", as body style, 2WD/4WD and even trim package effect the available load capacity. Also if you are going to tow a lot and heavy a DRW may be a better choice do to increased stability.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts