Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauge swap.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Anyone know if this instrument cluster could be swapped into a '98? Obviously the mileage won't match (non-issue in TX), but I'm curious if the cluster will work properly.

All the indications and warning lights seem to match. The bottom mounts seem to be the only non-matching thing, but I'm not sure if that's the angle of the photo.

I'm also curious if the tranny cable is the same across years.

Current One

Potential Replacement

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't think there's a "tranny cable" in either case. My '97 Ranger is a bit of a hybrid, with an electronic sensor screwed into the back of the transmission, but I think starting in '98 they used the VSS on the rear axle for the speedo, too.

Not that that really answers your question...but it's all I've got.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I know the 97 f250's had the vss speedometer in them.
I believe I read somewhere the gas gauge has a different resistance and my not be accurate but am not sure about this.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Sorry...I know the speedometer is totally electronic.

I guess I shoulda clarified tranny cable to be the shift cable...my understanding from reading about the Explorer is the transmission is totally electronic but the shift cable still exists to display selected gear on the gauge cluster.

Tex, I am attending school in OK but my truck is still registered (and inspected) in TX.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
OH! so you are a Texan you just got cool, I should have known only a Texan could pull off that bad *** of a barrel roll :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts