Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas Station fuel comparisons

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Since I finally have a car where I can actually see the results from putting different brand fuel in my car, I've been round robining 3 different fuel stations...one is a BP, one is a Shell and one is a Pilot. To this point I've put in 8 tanks of fuel (with #9 coming tonight), I've used BP 3 times, Shell 3 times and Pilot twice (third coming tonight). I've used 87 octane at each fill up, and judging by the DIC, I've had less than a 1/4 gallon left at each fill up. These are the results I've come up with to this point:

BP:
Has yielded the best mpg's at an average of 30.1 mixed mpg's* over the course of three tanks.

Shell:
Has yielded the second best results at an average of 28.7 mixed mpg's over the course of three tanks. However, sounds like there's a little bit of detonation when throttle is applied going up a steep(ish) grade.

Pilot:
Is coming in last at 27.3 mpg's mixed...but has yet to exhibit any detonation.

So these are my results to this point. I'm also gonna incorporate Conoco, Phillips, Citgo, Kangaroo, Hess, Wal-Mart's and the BP that still does 100% gasoline. I don't feel I've compiled enough data to this point, but I thought it was rather interesting that I'm already seeing a 10% gap between the top and bottom. If I spend $300/month in fuel, over the course of the year that 10% will save me $360, simply by educating myself what my vehicle prefers to run on.

At my current fill up rate, I'm filling twice a week, and if I wanna get 3 full tanks out of each store and try 3 different stores, I figure it'll be about 8 months before I can finalize data, but I look forward to it.

My current process for documentation, is to write down miles at the tank, zero my trip odo, and then document them both again at the next fill up. Also documenting price per gallon at each fill up...cuz I was thinking I could sacrifice a few cents at the pump, if mpg's were really that much better...and to this point it's true. Pilot is hovering right around 10-15 cents cheaper than BP.

I'd also like to note, that with the exception of the 100% gas BP, all of these stores are conveniently located, and not out of my way at all, I pass them every day.

Potential flaws:
-Engine isn't broken in yet
-Only tested at 1 store for each brand to this point (planning on using 3 of each store)
-Differing driving/traffic conditions

*MPG's are figured based on the weighted average of the 3 tanks. Also keep in mind my driving habits are approximately 75% highway 25% city.

***This is just an observation for my car, fuel quality may be different elsewhere and different vehicles have different thirsts...although it seems mine typically enjoy the BP flavor more often than not.

Last edited:
You need to ask the attendant where that last load of fuel came from every fill up ?
What additivcies are in it.
They are not all the same.
Up here we have special blend winter gasoline

I would only choose BUSY gas bars to do a comparison

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the input Dennis, I'll add that to my checkoff list.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have done the same sort of comparisons and have never come up with varying numbers...always been damn close, but the same thing hold true with "bad gas", I've never had an issue.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's why I'm wanting to go to a few different stores. To be honested, I wasn't shocked by the Pilot numbers...yielded the same results when I did a similar comparison in Bailee's civic...but the Shell brand did surprise me, even more so on the detonation.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting..and I should mention that the last time I did something like that was 20+ years ago, so things could very well have changed esp. given the proprietary additives that varying places use. I can say that the MKT much prefers premium over regular.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I figured that may be the next step...take the top 3 regular performers and try their premium.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
In some cases premium may cause lower performance and less power...higher anti-knock index without the engine to support it.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Our big chain up here is Kwik Trip. Have no idea where they get their fuel. But, I've checked MPG with different stations also. Not to the detail you are going into, but just the random checks. I think the overall differences that I came up with was 2-3 MPG differences. I don't think numbers can be too accurate unless you drive the exact way each tank and the fuel is the same. Too many variables, but if you continue to check your MPG with each station over a few tanks of fuel with each station, you should be able to at least come up with a decent final result.

BTW: off topic Ben, but can you run E85 in the stang? MPG would be lower, but I'd be curious to see if you notice any more power. I actually thought there was a slight difference in my 03 explorer and of course my truck runs pretty well with it (but I can't compare it gasoline).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Our big chain up here is Kwik Trip. Have no idea where they get their fuel. But, I've checked MPG with different stations also. Not to the detail you are going into, but just the random checks. I think the overall differences that I came up with was 2-3 MPG differences. I don't think numbers can be too accurate unless you drive the exact way each tank and the fuel is the same. Too many variables, but if you continue to check your MPG with each station over a few tanks of fuel with each station, you should be able to at least come up with a decent final result.

Yeah...I know their are some inherent flaws with this, but that's why I wanna make sure to get a few complete tanks out of each store, and get a couple stores of the same brand. And with this car, I'd say 90% of the driving IS the exact same.

Just an FYI...I did CITGO last night, instead of my third Pilot fill, and over the 67 miles that I've driven since that fill up, it's actually outperformed BP by 1.7mpg's.

BTW: off topic Ben, but can you run E85 in the stang? MPG would be lower, but I'd be curious to see if you notice any more power. I actually thought there was a slight difference in my 03 explorer and of course my truck runs pretty well with it (but I can't compare it gasoline).

Nope...says in the owner's manual that that's a no-no.

I've never compared the milege, but with my Cutlass with a 350 Rocket, I can sure tell which fuel is good and which is bad. My car only likes certain gas and has to have mid or high octane. My car runs like absolute crap on Speedway gas. It pings,spits,everything. I've had it in there more than once and did the same thing.. I don't know if you have any of those stations down there?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I believe we have a few in Charlotte...but I was typically a 'Big Name' station ki nda guy...ie the BPs and shells.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
CITGO:
Tank 1- ended up yielding 28.9mpg's, .2mpg's better than shell.

I'm also working on a tank of 100% gasoline from BP.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Subscribed. Not that I give a rats *** what I put in my DD, but still Pretty cool. I will be curious to see the results.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
BP1:
Has yielded an average of 30.1 mixed mpg's* over the course of three tanks.

BP2:
To this point I have one 1 tank through and it yielded 29.4 mpg's

BP 100% gasoline:
Didn't do near as well as I was hoping (even though it's the current leader), and after one tank, I got 30.3mpg's. At the time, it was also 5 cents more expensive than the average per gallon price.

Citgo:
1 Tank through and it yielded 29.7mpg's

Sunoco:
1 Tank through and it yielded 28.4 mpg's.

Shell:
an average of 28.7 mixed mpg's over the course of three tanks. However, sounds like there's a little bit of detonation when throttle is applied going up a steep(ish) grade.

Pilot:

Fuel stations still to come:
Kangaroo, Hess, Conoco, Phillips, WalMart

Also remember, I plan on going to 3 locations and doing 3 fill ups at each location.

A big flaw I didn't account for was A/C use...some of these tanks have had more A/C use than others. And from my best guess, it looks like it's affected final mpg's anywhere from .2-.5mpg's.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I burned through a tank fo BP gas that I'm not including in the data, because it wasn't the standard driving conditions. Ended up doing a lot of driving in and around Charlotte over the weekend, yielded 21.2 mpg's in the city. I also decided to do a little highway driving experimenting (again, nowhere near exact...but fun and give a general idea). I made a couple trips up and down I-85, one way, I decided to do 60mph the whole way, while doing 65mph on the return trip. Then the next trip up and down 85, I decided to do my standard 72mph and on the return trip, I decided to try my hand at hypermiling. Keep in mind, these are all highway miles. Results:

60mph trip: 34.3
65mph trip: 34.2
72mph trip: 33.6

(Difference of only about 300rpm)

are you ready for hypermiling...believe it or not, it yielded 38.8mpg's. Only thing I did out of the ordinary was follow semi's a lot closer (about 3' from bumper to bumper) and maintained speed with them. I can't account for how long and often I actually did follow the rigs, but it was apparently enough over the course of a 40 mile trip.

I did, however, go through a standard tank from the Kangaroo.

BP1:
Has yielded an average of 30.1 mixed mpg's* over the course of three tanks.

BP2:
To this point I have one 1 tank through and it yielded 29.4 mpg's

BP 100% gasoline:
Didn't do near as well as I was hoping (even though it's the current leader), and after one tank, I got 30.3mpg's. At the time, it was also 5 cents more expensive than the average per gallon price.

Citgo:
1 Tank through and it yielded 29.7mpg's

Sunoco:
1 Tank through and it yielded 28.4 mpg's.

Shell:
an average of 28.7 mixed mpg's over the course of three tanks. However, sounds like there's a little bit of detonation when throttle is applied going up a steep(ish) grade.

Pilot:

Kangaroo:
Tank 1: Yielded 28.8 mpg's

Fuel stations still to come:
Circle K, Hess, Conoco, Phillips, WalMart

Also remember, I plan on going to 3 locations and doing 3 fill ups at each location.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts