Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Full time to part time

I want to take my new truck and change it to part time four wheel drive. What would it take ? I know I need to get new hubs but what needs to happen with the transfer case and approx. how much does it cost?

Well, I did this conversion back in the late 80's and it cost me around $2000 but I had them install a shift kit too. Was it worth it? You bet!!

hubs were changed to part-time
transfer case had the gears changed inside
transmission level two shift kit, would bark the tires when shifting into second

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I believe MileMarker makes the kit... Look it up. It's not too expensive if you do it yourself. Iirc the kit is like $150. Then 4hi is 2 hi and 4 hi loc is 4 hi

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Couldn't a guy save a lot of money by finding an NP 205 part time, gear driven case and swapping it in? It would be a better, stronger case, too. You might be able to find a factory part time truck at a junk yard and grab the case and any additional parts you need fairly cheap.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those 203's are pretty damn tough...not as strong as 205, but for most applications they work well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The 203 is a stout case...IIRC everything is still locked and spinning except for at the hubs. Max I've read that you'd gain in mpgs is 1-2. I'm not sure I'd go the kit route...I'd rather swap in a 205.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Swapping is more work Ben....doing the conversion if you do it yourself is cheap and easy.
Personally, I'd keep the 203 as is...having fulltime 4 is kinda nice.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
In your other post you talked about regearing as well...if it was me id go to a junkyard and find a part time truck with the gears you want...steal everything and spend a weekend or two installing it...

I wouldnt see why you couldnt score the axles and Tcase for less then a grand...

www.car-part.com its a junkyard search engine...and its great.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Swapping is more work Ben....doing the conversion if you do it yourself is cheap and easy.
Personally, I'd keep the 203 as is...having fulltime 4 is kinda nice.

Agreed...I was just saying if I just had to have a part time option...I'd rather just go 205.

If I find one I think I might just swap them. After I get it to part time and new tires and the new engine next spring ill see how it does with stock gearing. For now its just for play. I'm not sure how much I'd even be able to do this winter with it yet.
What all do you do with the kit?
And what about just swapping t case? I heard I'd need to do new drive lines as well

A the truck sits now its abot 6 miles to a gallon. I went through over a half tank in 50 miles. It'll be a daily driver for a couple months in the spring then it will end up being used a couple times a week when I get another rig. So the part time might not save much gas but it'll be better than it is now

Ford Truck Articles