Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Pump

I noticed that when my 460 is idling the see-through fuel filter does not stay full. It will go close to empty and then refill. Also the fuel pressure goes form 6psi to 3-4 psi after the engine is warm, is this normal?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I never looked at my fuel filter to see if the same thing happens but it seems logical since the engine isnt spinning as fast at idle so I would think the pressure may drop like you say. Are you having any actual fuel related issues or did you just notice this by accident?

I never looked at my fuel filter to see if the same thing happens but it seems logical since the engine isnt spinning as fast at idle so I would think the pressure may drop like you say. Are you having any actual fuel related issues or did you just notice this by accident?

Just noticed after I reinstalled my carb. I suppose I should rev the engine up to see if the pressure comes up!

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
fuel pump pressure on 8 cylinder fords should be between 6.0 - 8.0 according to the manual for these trucks.my 79 460 runs 6.0 at idle,it should not drop below that.my pump is brand new.your pump may be getting weak,or you have a restriction in the line.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
fuel pump pressure on 8 cylinder fords should be between 6.0 - 8.0 according to the manual for these trucks.my 79 460 runs 6.0 at idle,it should not drop below that.my pump is brand new.your pump may be getting weak,or you have a restriction in the line.

smilieIagree However it is normal to see air space in the filter... at least in all the filters I have every had, including in perfect running newer vehicles..

Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts