Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel pump whine - guess it's time to replace it

Hey guys, long time no type. I think my last post was July-ish. My problem first, then the hello's.

First off, I haven't been on since July b/c the truck has been running great. About all I've done is changed the oil, driven a lot, and changed the plugs & wires. My front fuel pump is whining a lot and I assume the only real fix is to replace it.

I've got a brand new back tank, and a busted pump in it. I've been running on the front only for about a year. If I momentarily switch to the back tank, the whine quits.

Which one of these parts do i need? I assume the pump is what needs to be replaced, not the sending units? I need a front one and a back one. My front tank is the smaller one, not the 19 gallon. so...which 2 (or more) parts do I need, and can anyone else find them cheaper?

Now for where I've been....
at work :)

My wife got a job and I spent a good 2 or 3 months busy every night and weekend helping her place out, not to mention the project I'm in the middle of at my job. On top of that, we got a 2nd puppy. Needless to say, by the time we get home, we're lucky to eat something before we're ready to crash for the night.

Things are starting to settle down a little (and I've got some cash to blow on the truck) so hopefully I can hang around a little more.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Glad to see your light on again Tom. Hopefully things will calm down soon so you can get some relaxation time.

As for the whining pump... My pump has always whined but it's only audible when standing next to the truck or driving slowly next to a wall (think drive through at a fast food joint). I never figured it was problem since it makes the same whine when it primes before I start the truck. What gives you the idea that it's an issue?

It just makes me nervous, especially since we travel a lot in it. I'd feel a lot better about it too if at least the back tank worked. But, the whine just started a couple of weeks ago and seems to be getting louder.

The other issue I'm having, that's also been getting worse lately, is that during acceleration, the truck will briefly cut out or hesitate. It's worse in 1st and 2nd gear. If I let off the gas, or just up-shift, it's fine again. I'm blaming that on a fuel problem (no idea really). My fuel filter is clean, and I've got brand new plugs and wires.

Possibly related - The other thing on my to-do list that isn't helping anything is a mess a vacuum lines. One is split in half and just hanging open. From briefly googling, it sounds like that could be part of my issue as well

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well why not start with the rear pump and see if running on that tank will cure the hesitation problem. If the front pump is still working then it might not need replacing. If you replace the rear pump then you could run the current front pump until it dies cuz you'll have the rear as backup. Just make sure to always deplete the front tank before the rear.

That's pretty much my plan. I'll replace the rear first, assumin that someday I'll replace the front. From my link above, do I need the rear pump and sending unit, or just the pump. The only thing I know about the back tank is that the truck doesn't run on it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If it's a bad pump then you should probably only need to replace the pump. If you don't hear it whine when you turn the key to ON and the dash switched to the rear pump then it sounds to me like a bad pump.

Of course I don't need to tell you how much of a hassle it is to tank the tank down and replace the pump. So think about that and how you might want to replace everything while you've got the tank down YelloThumbUp

Yea, I don't plan on messing with it. Tomorrow I'm going to call this cheap shop and see what they'll charge for labor to replace the back one. Assumin they're a good deal, I'll set a date and order the parts from rock auto.

So getting down on what to order for the rear tank, it looks like I've got a few choices

from the link above (here) and this search on summit racing, I'm looking at a pump somewhere between $41 and $184.

I've had the rear tank down before, and none of the ones from Summit look familiar to me. Can anyone shed a little light on what exactly I need to order?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
So getting down on what to order for the rear tank, it looks like I've got a few choices

from the link above (here) and this search on summit racing, I'm looking at a pump somewhere between $41 and $184.

I've had the rear tank down before, and none of the ones from Summit look familiar to me. Can anyone shed a little light on what exactly I need to order?

i always got napa pumps and never had a prob!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ford pumps just do that. My Stang with 125k still got the og pump in there, and its louder then a sob. And same with trucks and bronk. Ive put new ones in on a few coustmers trucks at work(gen8-9) and still the same sound. Id ck fuel pressure and if its good, then you dont have to worry. You change ur fuel filter anytime sooon? Could be makin it hard to pump.

The part that makes me nervous is that the whine is new. It comes and goes a day at a time. When it does whine, sometimes it's solid for 10 minutes, sometimes off and on wihin a minute. It seems to have no effect on the engine cutting out though.

Fuel filter is a few months old.

I'm taking it to this place for an oil change (long story) in the next few days. I'll see if they can test fuel pressure.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Noisy fuel pumps are one thing, but a pump that suddenly becomes noisy is cause for concern, IMO.

If you're figuring to drop the tanks one at a time, I'd fix the rear tank, and run the front tank until it fails (making sure you always have fuel in the rear tank, of course).

If you're figuring to pull the bed and do it all at once, and have the cash to do it, replace it all while you're in there, just so you won't have to do it again.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I didnt know that it was new, im just used to noisy fuel pumps.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
My 94 and several others will make allot of noise. Been running for 100000 that way . But do have another tanks to fall back on.

Find problem with back tank. I'd check wires first. Then get pump locally so u can take it back that day .. Unless u have a good part number for online places . The wait sucks ..

Good luck

ok, so the plan is to replace the back pump and keep using the front (and back) until the front goes out. so i need a pump for the back.

i'm pretty convinced it's the pump in back b/c i replaced the back tank about a year ago and didn't replace the pump. the back one worked fine for a few weeks, intermittently for a couple more, then finally died. it's got to be the pump back there.

so i need to buy a rear fuel pump. local part stores seem to be about $150. does anyone have a link to a pump online that will work?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Ok I'll add my 2 cents in. i had a ton of in tank problems with my 88. I first replaced the entire sending unit and pump. this was from auto zone. I t was in about 3 months and in tank pump went out again. Auto zone warrenty. Ran about 6 months and went out again. Installed a napa pump. The pump was out when i sold the truck a couple months ago.

On my 88 F150 I couldn't remove the tank without first removing the receiver hitch. I did that when I replaced the tank. Every other time I had to work on the pumps I removed the bed. With the bed off you can easily get to every thing.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
WB Tom. LTNS.

If you have broken/mangled/split vacuum lines, chances are, that IS your hesitation problem, particularly under light to moderate throttle. A hesitation on acceleration is almost assuredly a lean-miss indication. That said, if it gets bad enough, the EEC should throw a code. Maybe not a latching code, but it should at least signal a lean indication from the O2 once in a while.

Pull the codes and let us know what ya get. The problem is, though, if it's just a slight vacuum leak, it may make the truck run like total poopy, yet not throw a code. The EEC is going to try to compensate for the vacuum leak by cranking up the fuel, so you'll see worse fuel mileage, and on occasion, may even get some back-fire.

I see you have the 4.9 I6, so I won't go there on the intake leaks. Don't know enough about the I6 intake to talk much about it. BUT, if you have a plumber's torch, you already have the ideal leak finder. Just turn on the gas real low, and point the unlit torch at anything you think MIGHT leak on that intake and all the associated vacuum lines. If it is leaking, you'll hear the engine idle up and smooth out. I prefer using propane because A.) it's a lot less messy, B.) I don't have to worry about getting solvents on the plastic parts, and most importantly C.) it's a lot less of a fire hazard.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts