Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford 400...Destroyed spark plug and a bent valve

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Howdy fellas...I got to pulling the Bronco apart this weekend to throw the cam in. I pull the most rearward plug on the passenger side and it wasn't pretty. The head of the plug was smashed flat. As of 4 months ago, those were new plugs, and the Bronco ran perfectly fine until it died about a month ago. No knocks, no pigs, no nothing. Anyway, I pulled the head and found a bent exhaust valve on that same cylinder...not terribly bent...but enough to where half the valve wouldn't seal in it's seat. So I sent the heads off for a quick valve job.

Then I saw there was part of the diode and ceramic from the plug morphed in to a ball, resting on top of the piston. The top of the piston had a little scarring on it, but not something I'd be afraid of using again. The cylinder was just fine as well.

I rotated the engine, and the piston is stopping where it's supposed to. I didn't notice an rod play at all either.

So can someone help me out as to what smashed up that spark plug? For a little history, that engine jumped time about 6 months ago, I replaced the timing set. Then it was acting like it jumped time again, but the timing set was fine and I replaced the distributor with a Motorcraft reman unit. And it hasn't run right.

Any ideas, thoughts, questions would be greatly appreciated.

More info...pulled the cam, and there were two lobes that were way more worn than the others, but the others weren't too terribly bad. The lifters had zero radii left and were worn flat. The pushrods all looked good, but one was covered in rust, it looked like there was a little head gasket leak.

And one more tid bit, the bad valve was a single groove vlave and the rest were all multi-groove, as if this were a problem valve in the past and has been replaced once already.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Probly got bent when it jumped time.

I figured that, but what caused the spark plug to deform like that? I didn't think a bent valve would cause that kind of damage to a plug. And if it could, what came first, the bent valve caused the plug damage or the plug damage caused the valve damage? So I'm wanting to know where that damage came from first before I throw a bad engine back together.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Your motor has voodoo on it, swap in one with 60 or so more cubic inches... :)

For the record, I know a guy who has a 78 150 with a 460 that runs he acquired in a trade. He wants to sell the truck for what he was owed and it's priced at $750obo. So after some number crunching and figuring out how deep this problem actually goes, it will come down to which makes more economical sense, swapping in a 460 or calling up Tim. My desire to just do an engine rebuild is pretty high, and if I go that route, I'd go .040 pistons and get my crank ground down .010. Then I'd have a brand new engine. If I could keep the new parts and machine work under a grand, I think I'd go that route.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
My guess would be the plug came apart and got stuck in the valve and then it bent but fired a few times. Maybe the entire core came out of the plug slamming in to the plug causing the damage.
Do you have a pic of the plug?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My guess would be the plug came apart and got stuck in the valve and then it bent but fired a few times. Maybe the entire core came out of the plug slamming in to the plug causing the damage.
Do you have a pic of the plug?

Alright...that would be re-assuring. It'll make me question buying spark plugs from summit again though. I don't have a pic of the plug, but I might be able to snap one tonight if it didn't get tossed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is it possible that you dropped the plug before you put it in ?

Anything is possible, but I really don't think so...and like I said, it was just fine for 4 months. Maybe it was dropped between me and summit is another possibility.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would agree with Randy. Makes the most sense to me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So the general consensus seems to be a bad plug, which in turn caused a serious miss, caused the dead knock and caused the bent valve.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The only logical conclusion here is ... 460!

How many times you going to try to polish that turd before you realize you need to move over to the 385 series?

For the record...I have a 460 as well...and it's broken too. When I go stroker, the 460 will be there, until then...you know the typical stats and numbers I spew.

The larger the engine the more you are compensating for something smilietease

Or it could mean you've got balls.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts