Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fog light options

Railslider

Rigger and digger
Hey everyone. New member here with a question about my options for fog lights. I have a '99 7.3 that I would like to install factory fog lights from an '02+ Super Duty. Can I assume that if I was to go that route the dimensions in the air dam/bumper will allow a clean installation? Or maybe someone can offer me some better fog light options? Thanks!

As a side note, I'd also like to update the headlights to those from an '02 SD. Mine are the lame looking ones with the amber lens turn signals, yuck! Would love to trade them out for the nice, clear lens headlight assembly if that's possible.

Last edited:
Last edited:

BIGRED911

Charter Member
the 02 headlights and fog lights will work..might even get lucky and get the factory wirin harness for the 02 fog lights its plug and play then...all 99 through 04 stuff interchanges..and if u wanna realy get cool. it just takes a dremel tool and some time to convert your 99 to an 05-06 front end......its all plug and play up to that point...and yes the old guy is partial to his hardly stuff...wonderin when he will buck up and get a new 2011 harley edition with the 6.7...

Railslider

Rigger and digger
Another brother out there? Right on.

Thanks for the welcome. I did a little searching yesterday since I'm couch surfing these days and found some pics of an '01 fully converted to an '05 front end. That's pretty trick, not sure I want to go that far but I might. My biggest problem is that I don't have a garage to pull the truck into and work on it as I have time. Live in a condo, we're not even supposed to work on our rigs in the parking lot but I do it from time to time. I know a buddy of mine and I could knock out that front end job in half a day pretty easy, conveniently one of my best buddies from high school is a mechanic at Ford. smilieFordlogo

Now is it safe to assume that if I get '05 headlights I have to do a complete front end conversion? Or can I get the headlights, trim in the necessary places to get them in, then do the grille and bumper at a later date?

Honestly, my biggest goal is the foglights and I will eventually change the headlights out for something better, the stock units suck. My Civic puts out more light, how depressing.

Brad, those Harley lights are pretty sweet. Truck is silver, I think I'd have to do a little work to darken it up in other places to go along with the blacked out look of the Harley units. Back in my college days when I was an Audi nut, I'd see some guys would get the blacked out housing headlights and put them on a white or silver car. That was fine and good, but if their wheels or a couple other items on the car weren't blacked out as well, they just look very out of place. Might have to put my thinking cap on if I went that direction for ideas on where to accent the blacked out look.

Last edited:

BIGRED911

Charter Member
the headlights will require a bumper..as will the grill...the headlights are the only thing that requires modifications...the header board will require holes for the back of the headlights to fit...they are deaper than the older ones...everything else just bolts (er screws) together...bumer, grill and headlights...just gotta make the holes behind the headlights to make em fit....i had an 06 harley front end for big red but couldnt find a bumper and wasnt cuttin my harley grill down to fit with the 99 bumper...silver truck blacked headlights,windows and recon smoked tail lights would look c*ck...

Railslider

Rigger and digger
A Civic????? :shocked:

Hey now, don't bash my commuter rig. Put 40K miles on it in the last year, there isn't a cheaper vehicle to drive when you punch out that many miles. Truth to be told, I love Japanese cars but prefer an American truck any day.

Thanks for the info about the '05 lights/bumper/grille, kinda what I figured; do it all or not at all. Now I just have to decide whether or not I want to go through all that. I'm waiting until spring before I do much of anything, it's ski season, I'm out of work (low on the list and diversifying my skillset, though) and I'm being told I'll be back to work within a month or so. Until I have a few months of solid employment, not much will get ordered. But I will start shopping now and make myself aware of what's out there.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
ya know if you were to get a ts performance 6 position chip, a 6637 wix air filter, do the ccv mod, 4 inch exhaust, un hook the waste gate, and a few other little things you could get 25-28+mpg outa the ole 7.3....

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
ccv mod? the few other things? im interested....

Railslider

Rigger and digger
ya know if you were to get a ts performance 6 position chip, a 6637 wix air filter, do the ccv mod, 4 inch exhaust, un hook the waste gate, and a few other little things you could get 25-28+mpg outa the ole 7.3....

With 200K on the clock, she gets 16 at 60 MPH. Not too bad, it's a 1 ton truck but I'm all for getting better mileage. I really don't drive it much, short trips around town here and there, I'm probably doing 250 miles a month at most. Drove it alot less when I was working, now I just want to drive it everywhere.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
crank case vent mod...crank case vents into intake which will put oil in your intercooler, and destroys intercooler boots...a piece of 4 inch exhaust pipe and some rubber line will fix it..the other things im kinda afraid to let out unless your wantin a serious play truck...ask toddly or bradley bout big red....

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
serious play truck? i want the mileage. i get 20-21 hwy now i would like better. also how can i keep my factory wastegate closed longer. it leaks like a sieve when i am pullin a loaded trailer up hill.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I just did the 05+ headlight upgrade to my dad's '00 F250.

We tackled the passenger side first, took a couple of hours.........after that the drivers side was CAKE, half hour, tops. Looks sweet!!!!

Added a "trimmed" 05-07 grill to complete the upgrading. I'll have to post up some pics.

rambler

New Shoes......
I put this on my 2000, it helped a lot on increasing the OEM lights. someday I want to upgrade the grill and headlights, but cost is a factor right now...

0058.jpg

I have heard of some people just makeing their own relays as well.. but I picked mine up from LMC Truck

lmc light harness page 58

Ford Truck Articles