Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First Long Road Trip

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Well, I figured I'd take my truck on it's first long road trip. I plan on driving it back to my home state of Nebraska which is about 430 miles. I'm not to concerned with anything going wrong and I think I have covered all my basis as far as bring some extras just in case, but the only thing I'm concerned with is Vapor Lock. It's supposed to be in the mid-90s for the drive when I go. I only have had this happen once so far and I have all rubber fuel line with a metal NAPA fuel filter up by the engine and did put one of those heat insulator gaskets under my Edelbrock Carb instead of a spacer. I'll probably run both my electric fans most of the way unless not using A/C. I don't plan on stopping much except for filling up. I'm going to get some heat insulation sheathing for the rubber fuel line even though it shouldn't need it, but I figure what the hell. I guess that's about all I can do and if it happens just let her cool down and go. Or just keep it running when I fill up and go. Any other suggestions for the drive.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
bucks77ford said:
Well, I figured I'd take my truck on it's first long road trip. I plan on driving it back to my home state of Nebraska which is about 430 miles. I'm not to concerned with anything going wrong and I think I have covered all my basis as far as bring some extras just in case, but the only thing I'm concerned with is Vapor Lock. It's supposed to be in the mid-90s for the drive when I go. I only have had this happen once so far and I have all rubber fuel line with a metal NAPA fuel filter up by the engine and did put one of those heat insulator gaskets under my Edelbrock Carb instead of a spacer. I'll probably run both my electric fans most of the way unless not using A/C. I don't plan on stopping much except for filling up. I'm going to get some heat insulation sheathing for the rubber fuel line even though it shouldn't need it, but I figure what the hell. I guess that's about all I can do and if it happens just let her cool down and go. Or just keep it running when I fill up and go. Any other suggestions for the drive.

The electric fans aren't run with a thermostat?

What about tunes? Don't forget that and garmin for speed, ride? I have to use gps for speed cause the bigger tires change the speedo.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The electric fans aren't run with a thermostat?

What about tunes? Don't forget that and garmin for speed, ride? I have to use gps for speed cause the bigger tires change the speedo.

Yep, got the tunes and the E-fans are programmed on 2 different thermostats and one usually keeps the truck between 195-210 (so far on the hottest of days up here) going down the road with or without A/C which I have turning on at 180. The 2nd fan I have turning on around 210, but I have an manual override switch for both fans so I can turn the 2nd one on whenever. One thing I have noticed though on the thermostats is that they are a pain to adjust at the right temps I want.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yep, got the tunes and the E-fans are programmed on 2 different thermostats and one usually keeps the truck between 195-210 (so far on the hottest of days up here) going down the road with or without A/C which I have turning on at 180. The 2nd fan I have turning on around 210, but I have an manual override switch for both fans so I can turn the 2nd one on whenever. One thing I have noticed though on the thermostats is that they are a pain to adjust at the right temps I want.

I only have one set, a dual electric, that comes on at 195, but my AC guy hooked it up with a switch so the fans come on automatically and stay on whenever I turn on and use my AC, then shut off when I tune it off. He thought it would just be safe and keep it from getting hotter than it really needs to be until the thermostats kicked in.

Where you have the bigger tires, how do you keep track of speed so you don't get a ticket? Even with intown driving, my speedo is off by 5-10 mph, so I just turn my garmin on everytime I take it out.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I was going to set my E-fans up to the A/C overide switch also, but decided to just run a couple manual switches inside the cab just in case I want to turn on one or both fans if not using A/C.

I did change out the speedo gear that goes into the transfer case so accomodate the big tires plus I have an electric speedo that I calibrated. I could be off a little bit, but I don't think enough to make a difference. I haven't gotten a ticket yet "knock on wood". Down the highway I'm usually slower than everyone else anyway since the 4.10 gears rev up the motor pretty good at 60 MPH. I'm hoping my speedo is pretty accurate because my MPG has been between 8-10 lately and I can handle that.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I know you have your truck in tip-top shape, but some things are just good to have in any of these old trucks.

Mine doesn't leave the property without these things behind the seat - let alone on a long trip:

-A couple quarts of spare oil
-Spare brain box
-Jumper Cables
-Assorted "road kill" tools (screw drivers, Alabama speed wrench, etc..)
-"Truck Shirt" or "Truck Jacket" in case it gets colder than I expected.
- Tow straps.
- Flares
-Fire extinguisher.
- Army blanket (serves many purposes.)
- Work gloves

Yep, it's full back behind the seat. Good thing I don't have in-cab tank.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I know you have your truck in tip-top shape, but some things are just good to have in any of these old trucks.

Mine doesn't leave the property without these things behind the seat - let alone on a long trip:

-A couple quarts of spare oil
-Spare brain box
-Jumper Cables
-Assorted "road kill" tools (screw drivers, Alabama speed wrench, etc..)
-"Truck Shirt" or "Truck Jacket" in case it gets colder than I expected.
- Tow straps.
- Flares
-Fire extinguisher.
- Army blanket (serves many purposes.)
- Work gloves

Yep, it's full back behind the seat. Good thing I don't have in-cab tank.

Oil-check
Brain Box-don't use one
Jumper Cables-check
Tow Strapes-check
Flares-may get some
Fire Ex-check
Blanket-will get one
Work Gloves-thanks for reminding me

Other things I've covered
Antifreeze
Power Steering Fluid-ATF
Battery Cabes
Fuses
Belts
Hoses
Many Tools
Spare tire with T wrench with air in the tire
Clamps
Extra 12 gauge wire
Wire connectors
I'll have my spare Ford Starter and extra Alternator just in case
Jack
Extra 5 gallons of Fuel
Spare distributor Cap and Coil
Extra short pieces of rubber fuel line and heater hose
Electrical tape

I think that's about it. I bought a cheap plastic truck from Fleet Farm to carry in the back for the trip. I figured I should have enough stuff for a road-side fix and if I can't fix it than something major went wrong and would need to be in the shop. I have AAA so if I do break down than I'd just get towed. Just can't forget my phone charger and AAA card. I'll pack a small cooler with some beverage and snacks. I feel like I don't trust my truck, but than again I do. Just want to be prepared is all. Figured If I have it, than it won't go bad. Much of this stuff too is coming back with me hopefully in my 75 F250 2wd.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Man, I've learned a lot from this thread......talk about prepared. There's a ton of wisdom here....

All I thought of in the beginning was tunes!

When we did our cross country trip in the dent, the PO bought us, as a farewell gift, an emergency road side kit (pretty cool), a regular 100 pc tool box and a 5 gallon gas can (8-10 mpgs). The ammo box in the engine bay had the exact belts I need for the fan and the alternator, so that's the only thing I haven't seen on your list.

But, sounds like you've got it covered.....enjoy the ride in your rig and let us know how she ran!

sounds like a damn good road trip! you mentioned an isolator under the carb rather than a spacer. I run 1" phenolic spacer from Summit on my 460.
Have fun !
!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Don't forget your sunglasses. :wavey: When I got my '78 in 2003. I drove it about 1600 miles on a little road trip. Twas thoroughly enjoyable. The only problem I had was a bad voltage regulator which I was able to buy in Rawlins, Wyoming.(on a Sunday nonetheless.)

Have fun on your trip. You will probably see a lot of "rubbernecks" on the way.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Sounds like you've got it, Buck. You even brought up some things that I keep in the truck that I didn't think of. Like electical tape - there's always a roll in my glove box.

just re-adjust the hood so you have a hot air exit in front of the windshield if you are that worried.

I did that in 1980 on my trip to California........... Works like a charm

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
just re-adjust the hood so you have a hot air exit in front of the windshield if you are that worried.

I did that in 1980 on my trip to California........... Works like a charm
Not too long ago I adjusted the hood back further to decrease the cowl to hood gap. I should have left it alone.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Trip went well with no issues. The weather was very HOT and I enjoyed just driving with the window down. Good thing I had some sunscreen for my left arm and thigh or I would have gotten a pretty good sunburn. I did run A/C the last hour of the trip and my engine temp crept up to about 210 and that was when the heat index was over 100 degrees outside. No Vapor lock problems and I managed to get about 10.5 MPG. Now the truck will sit in storage in my brothers building until next spring. He is going to get in out every now and then and drive it a bit just to keep things lubed up. I'm hoping I can get my rear main seal fixed over the winter. Now I'm ready for my other truck to come up here so I can do some work on it to get ready for next spring/summer for camper pulling.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
bucks77ford said:
Trip went well with no issues. The weather was very HOT and I enjoyed just driving with the window down. Good thing I had some sunscreen for my left arm and thigh or I would have gotten a pretty good sunburn. I did run A/C the last hour of the trip and my engine temp crept up to about 210 and that was when the heat index was over 100 degrees outside. No Vapor lock problems and I managed to get about 10.5 MPG. Now the truck will sit in storage in my brothers building until next spring. He is going to get in out every now and then and drive it a bit just to keep things lubed up. I'm hoping I can get my rear main seal fixed over the winter. Now I'm ready for my other truck to come up here so I can do some work on it to get ready for next spring/summer for camper pulling.

Glad to hear! I was wondering how it went.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:
Glad to hear everything went ok. I bet you got a lot of compliments!

And a lot of rubber neckers!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts