Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FICM Failures

In reading 6.0 forums on the various sites there seems to be a lot of FICM failures going around. Some seem to be trying to make a correlation between this and the inductive heating flash.

I'd like to hear the thoughts and opinions of our expert technicians on this.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I dont think that flash has anything to do with it. All electronics are outsourced (Ford doesnt make them), there's just been a bad run of them.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
my opinion is this. it is due to the inductive flash a little. people are trying to sqeeze the last drop out of batteries and they get weak. when it is cold, the inductive flash is cycling the injectors and the glow plugs are pulling current at the same time. IF the battereis are weak, then the ficm can "burnout" due to the low amperage due to low battereis. i have seen battery issues many times on 7.3s where the battereis were old causing a no start so this is nothing new. it is called maintainence, and if you cant do it, you dont need the truck.

my opinion is this. it is due to the inductive flash a little. people are trying to sqeeze the last drop out of batteries and they get weak. when it is cold, the inductive flash is cycling the injectors and the glow plugs are pulling current at the same time. IF the battereis are weak, then the ficm can "burnout" due to the low amperage due to low battereis. i have seen battery issues many times on 7.3s where the battereis were old causing a no start so this is nothing new. it is called maintainence, and if you cant do it, you dont need the truck.

That does not make a lot of sense to me. If the batteries have enough amp-hrs left to start the motor after the glow plug cycle (glow plug remain on for two minutes after start) and inductive flash of injectors the voltage supplied to the FICM should be fine. If it is designed to run off of the battery I'll bet there is a required range of voltage to be supplied to the FCIM. Let's not forget the truck I paid for cost an additional $5,300 for that engine. If the computer that runs my engine isn't robust enough to deal with a variance in voltage as should be expected with anything connected to a battery then it does not belong under the hood! Wasn't the "inductive flash" a bandaid for a cold start issue anyways? When the "fix" of inductive flash was purposed did some engineer analyze the starting requirements of the engine vs end of life criteria for a set of batteries? I do my maintenance but if you are going to tell me that my engine is that fragile then I don't want it.... The penance for living with bad batteries should be limited to getting stuck somewhere or may be starter replacement not a fried FICM. I am down with the fact that "this ain't your daddy's diesel" but give me a break.

You can however prove your assertion. Next time one gets hauled into your shop. Record the voltage supplied to the FICM before, during, and after the start (or start attempt) and show it is out of specification for the FICM. Even at that point I have to believe there is protection for that condition inherent to the FICM.

blacksnapon

Staff member
In Bowtie's defense, I will agree low voltage will kill a FICM. Here is something that converts 12 volts to 48, and if you make life rough on something electronic, its gonna bite you! Now, granted, it sounds strange, but when over the course of automotive history has there been something like this? Sure, coils, other modules, etc, but what did they do when supply voltage was off?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
at first it didnt make sense to me either. but with the information that is out there, and the repeat failures, it makes perfect sense now. a few times wont take out the ficm, but constant cold starts on weak battereis will kill a ficm.

like i stated this isnt the first time i have seen issues like this. 7.3s use to come in, in the winter time, as no starts. they would crank just fine but they wouldnt start. replace the battereis and she starts like a champ everytime.

you have to have enough amperage to please all the electronics on these engines or stuff will burn out, or just wont work properly. have you ever had a weak battery in a late model vehicle? if you have noticed or ever heard of others doing this, you will see the cluster gauges go wacky and have a full needle sweep while the vehicle is cranking and possibly be cranking at normal speed. the cluster is doing that due to weak batteries, and low amperage. so it is not just the super duty, it is vehicles nowadays.

Kep4

Jäger
Interesting topic! Any other Techs out there with an opinion?

Thanks Vince and BTH for sharing your insight. YelloThumbUp

I replaced the factory batteries in my truck last year shortly after it's 3rd 'birthday'.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
you have to have enough amperage to please all the electronics on these engines or stuff will burn out, or just wont work properly. have you ever had a weak battery in a late model vehicle? if you have noticed or ever heard of others doing this, you will see the cluster gauges go wacky and have a full needle sweep while the vehicle is cranking and possibly be cranking at normal speed. the cluster is doing that due to weak batteries, and low amperage. so it is not just the super duty, it is vehicles nowadays.
Funny thing, I rode to work today on my 1990 Suzuki DR350S. It's as kick start only so I don't worry about a dead or low battery, but I went to turn into the parking lot and glanced down to see the tach going nuts when the blinker was on. I thought oops, low battery. :) And I just read this thread this am. Funny coincidence.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I'm not a diesel tech, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this week (so yes, I am an expert).

With today's motors and electronics, the demand on the batteries, starter, glow plugs FICM and everything else is very great. Low (and high) voltage will strain different parts of the "electronics" of any motor.

When certain electronics don't get their full energy input, "things happen" over time and it puts a drain on other componenets as well. I would think that a combination of poor quality buy the supplier that makes the FICM and that of low battery voltage probably contribute to the rash of failures to one degree or another.

I know for a fact that putting in two new Motorcraft batteries (price was same after rebate as other places) that my truck starts quicker and glow plugs heat up quicker... and I am sure I saving my starter motor as well from a premature death.

Ford Truck Articles