Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

few questions regarding front trailer hitch and plow

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so ive got a decision to make. over the course of the winter im planning some major things to do to my truck. some examples include, f-250 coil springs in front to raise the front up level with the rear, somewhat waterproof electrical components in engine bay, put my new drivers door on and switch the door insides from the old door to the new to keep power everything, put an air/fuel ratio gauge in, and a gauge to be determined later (all in a pillar pod), put a Bronco spare tire swing carrier on the truck so i have somewhere to mount the spare without taking up room( i use the bed constantly and i can't fit it under the truck due to the tires being 33" and i have my dual exhaust going straight back) and last but not least i want to put a front mount trailer hitch on. i plan on making my own from either 2" inside diameter square tubing stock or i beam stock. it will go be welded between the front frame rails and just under the radiator support and be hidden driectly behind the front bumper. the front plate frame will be spring loaded and flip up to expose the 2" reciever so i can either mount a detachable winch, or a trailer tongue. BUT my problem is i have push plates off of a 9th gen truck that i got for free and want to put on so i can have a plow. now i can't do both hence why i am writing ;). the push plates are for a minute mount plow which is awesome but will they fit my 89? i know the front of the frames changed slightly between gen 8 and gen 9. if they will fit i am going to just do the plow setup and make a brakcet for a front receiver from that. if anybody can help that would be awesome!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Id go with an old school Meyers plow setup if ya could, caus you get that hoop that you take on and off, and you could easly make a mount to slide into the 2 holes and then have your reciever hook up. If its not an option then id just make it fit lol.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I was never able to find an A-pillar gauge pod for the 87 to 91 trucks that held three gauges. Two was the most I could find. If I had to mount two, they would be oil pressure and water temperature. If I had a third, it would be tranny temp, but that doesn't make sense on your truck (or my F-150). I think I'd go with vacuum for the third one in a manual. I think vacuum is nice to have in any vehicle though. I've always wanted to build a nice gauge pod for my Bronco, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.

The passenger rear quarter panel on a Bronco is heavily reinforced to support the weight of the spare tire. If you put that hardware into just sheet metal, it will tear right off in no time.

I really like the front receiver hitch idea, especially hidden behind the license plate. That sounds like a really cool project.

My parents had an '81 Bonneville and the gas filler was hidden behind a spring-loaded rear license plate, all factory. I always thought that was the coolest thing.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts