Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Factory Topper?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
SIs the cap on the right a factory topper? I can't remember if they had the two little windows or not. Either way, i think it would look good on the truck if I could get it cleaned up. Can't beat it if I could get it for $50.
looks short to me. don't you have a long bed?

could just be the angle, but looks short next to the red one.

EDIT: $50 doesn't seem too bad for around here if all the glass is in good shape. i got one that looked about like that and a scrub brush and power washer helped a lot, but it still didn't look great. just don't get too high of hopes unless you plan on painting it

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
I don't think (IMO) that it is the factory topper - one, it doesn't appear to have the little "compass" emblems on the front sides, unless they have fallen off. Two, the front slider is rectangular - the factory window is shaped like the truck's rear window (they're actually interchangeable). And three, there is no roof vent that I can see, unless it has been replaced by a patch panel.
However, at $50, I agree - not too bad a deal. If the topper is of the "grained" variety (not smooth) they can be a bear to clean up nice, and look over the gelcoat carefully - I've seen many that actually have bare fiberglass exposed. Check the integrity of the rear hatch and seals also.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't think it's a factory top either, for the same reasons NOCO mentioned. But again I have to agree, for $50, you can't go wrong. My dad had a topper just like that though on one of his 78 SC's.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

looks short to me. don't you have a long bed?

could just be the angle, but looks short next to the red one.

Yep, I do have a long bed, but the ad says they're both for 8 foot beds.

Factory or not, I do like the style. At least I've learned a little more about the factory caps from your posts!

no they aren't ford factory tops

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
What does a factory topper look like, this?

IMG_1687.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I believe that's right Lee...is that on the back of the SC?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Yep, hmmm wonder what it's worth? Probably harder finding someone that wants one. No way in hell it's going on my truck!

The one and only Ford canopy

Canopy-1.jpg

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I believe we have a winner!!!

I would have never thought that that topper was factory. Didn't even know there was such a thing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yep, hmmm wonder what it's worth? Probably harder finding someone that wants one. No way in hell it's going on my truck!

I bet advertising it on places like this, it'll sell really quick. I seem to remember someone on here a few weeks ago who was looking for one. Hell...I'd want/take it if shipping wasn't too bad. I begged my dad to keep the one that was on his 78 (but he never had it on there), but he ended up saying it was part of the truck so it had to go. That was the only factory dentside topper I had ever seen in person.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
A friend of mine was asking if he could HAVE it. I thought "why not", well he may not be getting it now!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I don't think (IMO) that it is the factory topper - one, it doesn't appear to have the little "compass" emblems on the front sides, unless they have fallen off. Two, the front slider is rectangular - the factory window is shaped like the truck's rear window (they're actually interchangeable). And three, there is no roof vent that I can see, unless it has been replaced by a patch panel.
However, at $50, I agree - not too bad a deal. If the topper is of the "grained" variety (not smooth) they can be a bear to clean up nice, and look over the gelcoat carefully - I've seen many that actually have bare fiberglass exposed. Check the integrity of the rear hatch and seals also.
Its not a factory one.
But most around here emblems r long gone. But there r one with no vent solid flat sqaure there
My Dad had one new I got pics here somewhere as well as bills from dealer.
But for $50 check it out . If no like and r in western PA I know of several aftermarket Caps for free.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I've seen clean/premo ones at truck shows sell for $1000

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Jolly Green are you still looking for a factory ford cap? I have some located in New Jersey, pm me if interested

I've really just been looking for a good deal on any cap. To get a factory one would be a big bonus. The "good deal" part is the most important thing though. I really would not use it much. I do too much hauling with the truck to leave it on all the time. I just had the idea to make a temporary sleeper in the bed for fishing trips and stuff that I could easily put on and remove.

That said--what are they asking for the ones you've seen?

Its not a factory one.
But most around here emblems r long gone. But there r one with no vent solid flat sqaure there
My Dad had one new I got pics here somewhere as well as bills from dealer.
But for $50 check it out . If no like and r in western PA I know of several aftermarket Caps for free.

Free--that's a deal! Especially anything in half decent shape. I'm right in the middle of PA--a little over an hour from PSU. So, not too far away.

Thanks guys.

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
I finally ended up having to give mine away in order to get it off my property. Had no calls whatsoever after 5 mths on CL. The guy I gave it to sold it about a year later for $15. It came off of a '76 "highboy" and was given to me. I ran it on my '97 powersmoke for awhile, then traded that truck, and the topper just sat around for a half year. I still see them advertised around here, but only for $20-50.

All sorts of them near me that go for $350.00 - $500.00 for a Deluxe canopy

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts