Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exhaust

What is every ones favorite type style and layout of exhaust ?

I prefer a set up that comes off the headers into glass backs and exits before the rear tire on each side.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I was content with chopping the muffler off of my stock exhaust. :D

But if I was to do another dent, from the headers I'd do a 3 inch to the bumper.

I like headers, piped back to right behind the cab or maybe in front of the rear axle and dumped. I'm a big fan of Borla exhaust but I admit I havent heard any of it on any older Ford stuff.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I had headers, with Ravin mufflers, exiting before the tires. Got to be too loud after awhile. Now I have manifolds into 2" exhaust to cherrybombs exiting before the wheels and am very happy with it.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ive had it before the rear tires on the 76 and it was so loud ya couldnt talk in the cab without yellin. All the trucks Ive got now have it behind the rear tires 72 has 2 1/4 duals with glasspacks 86 has 2 1/2" duals with turbo mufflers and the bronco will probly be 2 1/4" with turbos.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Headers through 2.25-2.5" pipe to 8-24" glass packs exiting before or after tire. Those decisions are predicated on 'classiness' of the rig. IE...my Bronco is a big obnoxious rig intended for the trail...so it has dual 2.5" pipe with 8" (5" dia) cherry bomb gp's, and dumps before the rear tire. My 250, is a classy lady with 2.25" pipe through dual 18" (3.5" dia) cherry bombs gp's. With even classier rigs like luxury packages and whatnot...typically a 24" gp with a 2.5-3" dia. is plenty.

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
I had late Seventies Hooker long-tubes on my 460 mated up to 2.25" pipes through a pair of Flowmasters that turned down and exited right before the rear axle. I liked that setup because it had a real "throaty" sound and the tips were completely hidden, but the header flanges hung down below the tranny crossmember and you could see those.

Only thing I didn't like was the near impossible access to the starter and the heat soak it would suffer from because of the way the passenger-side header would wrap around it.

My "new" '74 SCS still has the stock exhaust and I miss the old setup - used to set off car alarms and my wife could hear me coming from a block away!

Myself I like headers with a 2.5 back to Thrush Mufflers and exit in front of the rear tires or buy the kit to have the exhaust come out into the lower rear fender wit the chrome trim around it

Something along the lines of this body side exit

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts