Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Enigine swap

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Getting ready to swap out a 302 for a 351W in a '84 F-150. I think I have everything I need, but thought I'd see if there is anything I should be looking out for. 302 is EFI, 351W will be Carb'd. He wants to take the heads off the 302 and put on the 351W. I put a gear to gear timing set up in the 351W, it's got a Lunati cam and new speed pro pistons. Planning on a fuel pressure regulator to cut the fuel pressure down to 6psi.

Jmo but I'd ditch the gear to gear.. ( they can transfer harmonics to the cam from the crank )

What heads are on the 302 and 351 currently??

Other than those ?? sounds like you got it worked out....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Jmo but I'd ditch the gear to gear.. ( they can transfer harmonics to the cam from the crank )

Would balancing combat that? Because I was always under the impression that gear drives were more efficient and obviously last longer than a chain, and maintain time better. And they do have 'no-whine' gear sets now...so you can get rid of that annoying whine. Just curious because the gear set seems to hold up pretty well in the good ol 300...and I know alot of chevy guys that rave about them (I know I know, they're chevy guys).

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Would balancing combat that? Because I was always under the impression that gear drives were more efficient and obviously last longer than a chain, and maintain time better. And they do have 'no-whine' gear sets now...so you can get rid of that annoying whine. Just curious because the gear set seems to hold up pretty well in the good ol 300...and I know alot of chevy guys that rave about them (I know I know, they're chevy guys).

From what I understand/ remenber its not a balance issue but it does do something to the cam..

Just a ??? but if gear setup were the best wouldn't the Pro's use it??

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just a ??? but if gear setup were the best wouldn't the Pro's use it??

True dat, I'm not advocating the gear set up, I just didn't know alot about them, but the applications I know or have seen them used, they seem to do as well as a chain set up.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
This is my first time dealing with the gear timing set, and it's not my motor, thus not my choice. As far as the heads go they are stock as far as I know. I have the day off tomorrow and plan on pulling the 302. i will try to get some #'s for you guys. The 302 is an '84 I believe, and i know for sure the 351W is an '85. I get the 302 for doing the swap.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
So the guy finally got his act together and got everything to finish the swap. Quick question though, the ignition module for the 302 was on the distributer, 351w was on the fender (which we don't have anymore). Since the distributer wouldn't swap from the 302 to the 351w (smaller shaft size) can i just wire up a ignition on the fender and how would i do that? I'm not quite an ace in the electrical department.

AFIK you'd need a dizzy and matching brain box, to get it to fire off; That or a points dizzy...

Ford Truck Articles