Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engine dies on Ford Ranger 2.9V6

My symptoms before I let it sit for 2 years was it would sometimes die after it reached operating tempature.It would just fall on it's face like running out of gas.
It usually starts right up but now it can fail to start.
If I keep spraying gas into carb throat it seems to keep running.
I'm guessing fuel pump in the tank but the previous owner instead of replacing the filter they broke the pick up tube off and didn't put a filter element back in.Can I put the inline filter on it.It'll fit but I'll have to use a few straps to keep it secure.
What's the easiest way to replace fuel pump?I've heard taking off bed will work and pulling tank is more work.

Before I start procedure.What else can I check to make sure it's not fuel pump in tank?
Another symptom is seems to run much better at 55mph but once I let up on gas it can just stall but if I drive it real hard it'll fall on it's face also.

Last edited:
Is there any procedures on the forum on removing bed to get to fuel pump?
Is there any way I can clear the fuel lines from the intake in case debris is in it from no fuel filter being used?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
To pull the bed you need a T50 to loosen the bed bolts. There are 4.
Pull the bulb sockets from the bed to unhook the wires from the bed.
Unscrew the filler neck from the fuel door.
There might be a ground strap st the front of the bed also.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
For the shutting off it sounds like your TFI is failing.
It its located on the distributor uses a special thin wall socket to remove.

Last edited:
I think you may be right on the TFI being bad.
I pulled both fuel lines off going into the filter turned key on and the rear pump is working.
Is there a way to test the TFI unit and will my local parts house have access to one?
It did this once before,it would die sometimes after 30 min,let it sit and it would start back up.One mechanic said it had two coils and one went bad and it fixed the problem.I don't know if some might refer to the module as a coil but I only see one coil on my truck.

Motor starts each time but then it'll die unless it's kept at a high RPM but then it'll back-fire or sputter.If I let it idle it dies and fails to start unless it sits for 10-15 minutes.
Could the TFI be causing those symptoms also?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts