Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Efi 460?

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Can anyone tell me what year the 460 went to EFI and MAF or SD?

Someone has offered me a 460 out of an '88 with zf5 and bw tcase for a pretty good price and was considering it to swap into my bronco with the whole EFI setup so the thing won't stall on the trails all the time, but wasn't sure if its even EFI and if so if it was MAF or speed density.

thanks..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If I remember correctly, it was right around 88 when the EFI started being used, along with the newer body style. So you might wanna check on that in case it was a half year sorta thing. I'm sure you can tell the difference between the two by looking at the engine, or so I hope :rofl:

It's absolutely not MAF though... MAF wasn't used in these trucks until 94 or 95, and even then it was mainly installed in California trucks like mine. You generally don't see it in the other states until at least 96.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Like Chris said, 460's went EFI in 1988, so the motor shouldn't have a carb and there's no way it's mass air.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I'd hope I could tell the difference too. lol

Engine is in NJ though, so I can't just go and look at it.

Another question. Since the truck was a manual, I can bolt it up to a c6 and not have any computer issues because the c6 is vacuum controlled, right?

Also, what kind of power are we talking with this engine? I'd hope it'd be a bit of an improvement over my 400 thats having less and less oil pressure by the day..

andym

Real men are fanatics
Yep, that's correct. You'll obviously need a 460 computer to go with it. :)

In 88 the 460 was rated at 230hp I believe.. but that's with all the stock exhaust on it, it's not hard to get lots more than that.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Just make sure you remove the pilot bearing from the crank before you try bolting the torque converter to it.

Can anyone tell me what year the 460 went to EFI and MAF or SD?

Someone has offered me a 460 out of an '88 with zf5 and bw tcase for a pretty good price and was considering it to swap into my bronco with the whole EFI setup so the thing won't stall on the trails all the time, but wasn't sure if its even EFI and if so if it was MAF or speed density.

thanks..

EFI in the 300 in 1987, the V8s came the next year. I would pick that up at the first opportunity I had. smiliegitrdone

The EFI is considerably taller than the carb models, and the coolant routing thru the top end is a bit of a nightmare. Also you will need the MAP unit (NOT MAF, of course)... also find out if the ignition module is on the distributor or mounted away from it. the ones on the distrib tend to overheat and fail.
Also, the factory routing for the Spark Plug wires sucks... you might want to buy longer wires and route them another way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts