Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ecoboost question

blacksnapon

Staff member
The e85 thing is probably regional. You have to look far and wide here to find it. Unless it says plainly "FLEX FUEL" dont use it!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Most gas here is not E85. Just make sure the pump says 'contains 10% ethonal' or whatever it says now. Honestly I haven't seen any E85 pumps around here.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
E10 is what you see everywhere, now. That'll work fine in anything new.

E85 is virtually impossible to find around here...seems like in ND, every station I stopped at had it, but that's the only place I remember seeing it consistently.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Read the manual-- it shows in big bold letters that you should NOT use e85 in the EcoBoost. Like Trista said, it's not a flexfuel vehicle.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My understanding is that higher ethanol content will lead to lower gas mileage. But I've been wrong before... Once...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My understanding is that higher ethanol content will lead to lower gas mileage. But I've been wrong before... Once...

+1.

The E85 has less potential energy in it than gasoline. In the olden days, ethyl would be the 'premium' gas because it did the equivalent of adding octane. It resisted early detonation similarly, but did so by removing energy.

You probably already know this Bob, but octane removes early detonation and makes the gas less volatile, not more volatile. E85 takes more fuel to do the same amount of work.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts