Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

does oil go bad?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I run Mobil1 synthetic in my Ranger, and have no interest in using anything else. (What oil do you put in a truck with 240k? The same one that got it there.)

I buy oil by the 5-quart jug when I change it, but I like to keep a sealed quart in the truck just in case.

Since I fill the crankcase from the 5-quart jug (and the little leftover in one of those just makes up for the amount burned over 5k miles), the quart bottle just sits there, exposed to heat/cold. I think the one in there is at least 8 months old, maybe more.

Do I need to be concerned about trying to keep a fresh quart there, or can I assume since it's sealed and synthetic, it should remain fine indefinitely?

Thanks!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
good question... subscribing.

Ryan

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I THINK................THINK..............that unless moisture gets into the oil, that is SHOULD keep indefinately...............but I'm not sure about that either...........Also I don't know if there is a "shelf life" on synthetic oil, storage differences, etc.

Gunner

bobf100

That's a good question. You have my interest - I'm hoping some of the other guys have an answer because I sure don't know.....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's kind of what I thought.

But I know some substances do not tolerate heat/cool cycles well.

Thanks!

I think you will be fine as long as it dont sit for a year or more. Check out BITOG to learn more than you ever wanted to know about oil, grease, filters, WD40 and any thing else lubricant related.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, where's Beach when you need him, not that that happens often. :rofl:

If it were an open container, I would worry, as the inner walls of the container would collect condensation and contaminate the oil. But, being a sealed quart, and of SYNTEC at that, I see no issue with it.
My dad would always "Cycle in" the hold-over quart, meaning, at the next oil change, that would be the first quart in, then top with the gallon. Keep a brand-new quart spare. This also keeps the container from drying out and splitting.
As long as we're on the subject, if you buy filters and store them for future use, put them in baggies or gladware containers, so humidity doesn't permeate the filter core over time.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, where's Beach when you need him, not that that happens often. :rofl:

Hey... here I am.....

"Can Oil Go Bad".... is the question.....

The answer is yes... but it takes time....

How can oil go bad:

1) If container is open it will collect moisture.

2) If container is closed, it will last longer but not forever.

3) The plastic container walls will leach over time and the plastic bottles are not forever. The bottles will break down and are made of petroleum products as well (plastic).

4) The chemicals used in the add-packs are not forever and half a shelf-life. I do not know what it is, but all chemicals break down due to heat, cold, moisture and the like.

5) I have heard of people shaking up a bottle of oil to ensure that the oil and add-pack is mixed prior to pouring into their motor and to ensure that none of the add-pack sticks to the walls of the bottle when poured in or if any of it seperated out.... this is why you warm up your motor to circulate your oil before draining it out.

I would say that buying more oil than one can use in 6 months time is a waste of money and you never know if a newer or better oil will be released that you would want to try anyways???

I personally like buying my oil from a high-volume retailer with fresh oil on hand and keep just what I need for any of my "motorized" vehicles, lawn mowers, trimmers and the like.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
We dont need BITOG when we got Beach!:nana:

And I don't need that "other site" or my local dealership when I have Blacksnapon :nana: just a few clicks away to answer my questions... isn't the internet great!!!!
:beer:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
And I don't need that "other site" or my local dealership when I have Blacksnapon :nana: just a few clicks away to answer my questions... isn't the internet great!!!!
:beer:

Yeah, aren't you glad Al Gore was kind enough to invent it for us?:rofl:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
One thing to add to Beach's spot on post. Rating and compatability. 6.0 as well as most diesel owners that change their own oil know what I am talking about. 15W40 had 3 API rating changes in as many years. Typically the add packs are backward compatable, but with the most recent change CI-4+ to CJ-4 the TBN changed drasticly due to the DPF trucks being introduced. So basicly the add packs in both oils were quite different and although 1 qt in our 15 qt systems is not a big dilution, in a 5 qt vehicle it is. Especially with higher mileage, why risk it. As the old saying goes, oil is cheap. When in doubt dispose of it.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Sorry guys. Didnt realize yall felt so strongly about BITOG.

Just for the record.... we have no problems with BITOG or his site.... it was an inside joke aimed at me... and just a joke... nothing more .... as I try to stay up to date on "oil stuff"... at least with diesel motors as this is what I drive.

I have learned a lot from BITOG site myself.

:beer: :nana: :beer: :nana: :beer: :nana:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
As the old saying goes, oil is cheap. When in doubt dispose of it.

Did Al Gore start that phrase/quote and invented it along with the internet?? :bs:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Oh and as far as bitog goes, much more comprehensive and objective data is available from API's website. American Petroleum Institute has no investment or anything to gain. They test and issue licenses for specific lubricants.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I have learned a lot from BITOG site myself.

:beer: :nana: :beer: :nana: :beer: :nana:

I learned so much more about oil from FTE than I ever did at bitog, that however don't make it a bad site. That and from some of the excellent contacts I made at FTE from people in the lubrication industry.

OT. Anyone here with a 6.0 want to know anything about a 6.0 or VT365 oiling system, contact Chris Gabe at Lubrication Specialties. He is the developer of HSS. So he is pretty much the 6.0 injector stiction guru.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts