Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Do I need to switch my intake manifold when going from 2 bbl to 4

I have a 69 f100 with a 390 FE. Running a 2 bbl carb now. I've purchased a new Holley 4 b carb 600 cf. I was told the manifold would work with either setup. Is this true? Or do I have to buy a new manifold? Also, they sell conversion mounts. Would that be the way o go?
Thanks

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There are adaptors but they kind of defeat the purpose. I would look for a new or used intake.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thx. I was told it would mount right on without a new manifold. Is that true at all ?

I can't see how....the boreholes wouldn't line up.

Fellro

Staff member
The holes and studs do not line up at all, and the bore holes are way too small.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's a big 2 bbl!!...I'll bet it did wake it right up!

Fellro

Staff member
That is a common stock car carb... Local tracks limit to 2 bbl so the Holley 500's get used...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
For a 390?...I'd say it's on the mark...a small 4bbl might do better with mpg's but those 500 2bbls were as Roger said, a factory size.

Fellro

Staff member
How will a 500 CFM drown a motor that can handle a 625 CFM 4bbl? Most small blocks can handle 600 CFM built mild. The stock cars are hobby stock that I refer, which typically are not that tweaked for the classes here, not on modifieds or the higher class, but the bombers.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts