Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Distibutor woes, Help

oldandbroke

Texas Chapter member
I have a 1968 F 100 with a 360. It had sat for tens years up until a couple of weeks ago when I acquired it.
Trying to set timing, but the distributor will not move. I have removed the clamp down, and even hit it with a soft hammer, soaked it with liquid wrench and hit it a few more wacks. No luck
Anyone got any advise?

Ok I understand wanting to resolve the frozen distributor issue BUT have you checked the timing? Check for slop in the timing chain. Odds are unless someone messed with it timing is just fine if it was driven to the place of being parked. Everyone wants to set timing & there is usually no problem at all with the timing unless someone wanted to set timing.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
See if you can get your hands on a "SLIDE HAMMER" heat the unit as Roy stated above.....Heating will desolve the tarnesh buildup...then use the slide hammer to remove it......

oldandbroke

Texas Chapter member
Thanks It does run good with time as is, it is at less than zero with vacuum disconnected at idle, and at around 16 to 18 BTDC with vacuum advance connected.
I was wanting to install electronic ignition conversion which calls for timing setting after installation.
I will leave as is for now and tackle the issue later.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts