Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dim Dash Lights - Alt problem

While headed to work this morning I noticed that the dash lights were dim. Checking the voltmeter, I saw that the voltage was low. I wasn't very far from home so I turned around and drove something else to work. Got back home after work and started checking things out. I ended up pulling the alternator off and checking it out. Found that I had worn out the brushes and caught it before it destroyed the slip rings. Front bearing was also noisy so I took it all apart. Went to get parts and found a rebuild kit for it at AutoZone. I put it all back together, started it up and all was good. Total cost? $6.41 Sure glad I know how to fix this old stuff.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good save .. I always got extras on shelf . As they go at bad times .

I'm planning on a 3G conversion this spring but wasn't ready for it at this time. I see now why everyone is making the converstion as mine has the leads off of the rectifier and not a plug. I'm surprised that the wire nuts on the wires have held up this long! Now that I know more about it then I did before, it scares me that it works as well as it does. I'm going to start ordering parts as soon as the bikes are complete in the shop and ready for the next riding season.

Ford Truck Articles