Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dentside Cruise Control

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have a guy on another site that is offering me his entire dentside Cruise Control set up (except the steering wheel). He claims it's all there and operational. He's sending pics tonight. I've never seen the set up, is there anything to pay attention to? Are there any parts that should just go ahead and be replaced? Anyone have a pic of their own set up? What's a reasonable price to pay for this? Is it a difficult install? Any other helpful info?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well, I have no cruise control but a friend here has it in his '79. The only part I know is a servo with a little chain on it that hooks to the throttle linkage. IIRC there was a vacuum one too but IDK. there must be some sort of brain box inside and a sensor of some kind for the driveshaft...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ben, make sure you get the amplifier and if 1975/77, the TSS (turn signal switch).

The amplifier mounts on the firewall adjacent to the fuse box.

1975/77: The steering wheel is Cruise Control (CC) only, as is the TSS.

1978/79: The TSS & the steering wheel are the same with/without.

1978/79's without CC do not have a horn relay.

1978/79's with CC, the horn relay plugs into the CC's amplifier.

Some 1975/79 F100/350 CC parts are shared with 1975/91 Econolines, 1974/79 Passenger Cars and 1978/79 Bronco's.

The chain is only furnished with the CC's servo. It mounts to a bracket...make sure to get that bracket, because it's F100/350 ONLY.

btw: There is no sensor on the driveshaft. AFAIK, there isn't one for anything...for any year.

Ask Dennis the Menace to post the following CC illustrations. Or you can look it them up yourself if you have the parts catalog (which you prolly don't :rotz:).

1973/79 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog / Illustration Section 97.1 .. Pages 2, 3 & 6.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Bill...here's what was sent:

CC2.jpg

CC3.jpg

CC1.jpg

And this was said:

The only wire I cut is the green one to the brakes, otherwise the harness is complete with the factory connections and turn signal lever with circuit board.

He also said he wanted $90 for it all shipped...sounded pretty good to me. Agreed?

Next...I suppose, I should figure out what year truck the stuff is out of. He offered, and I jumped on it before I even asked the details.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
NO, you do not want it, it's not factory installed CC !!!
'
See that black lever? That was only used with DEALER INSTALLED or aftermarket CC and mounts on the TSS's lever.

Factory installed: The CC switch (D5TZ-9C888-A) is mounted in the steering wheel's specific...to CC only...horn pad.

Two switches are visible: Off/On & Set/Resume, but when removed from the horn pad, it's only one switch, as it's wired together.

There are no parts available with dealer installed CC, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is not a Gen-U-ine Ford dealer installed CC set-up. IMO, it's a gypo.

PASS!!

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thank ya much Bill. That's all I needed to hear. That's why I brought it to the pro's...I've never dealt or even seen one of the factory systems before.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I dunno who that cluck on t'other site is that wants to sell it, but...

Whoever buys it...thinking it's a genuine Ford factory installed CC set up, is in for a rude awakening.

The seller is clueless (which is not surprising for the usual reasons I've ranted on...many times) and thinks it's genuine Ford...because it came off a Ford truck. :rotz:

Sears and Western Auto offered CC kits, most were made by Perfect Circle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dunno who that cluck on t'other site is that wants to sell it, but...

It's a guy I know on a local offroad site. He's not that bright to begin with. He's wanting to turn his truck into a 1/4 mile champ...hence the weight reduction. He's not really in to Fords, knows I like to dabble and offered it up. I told him to hold it and not offer it to anyone else until I got more info...turns out not to be something I'm interested in.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Looks like the blue oval on that sticker in the pics.

Not saying it's a good set up, but it may in fact be a Ford part...even if it is a dealer ad-on.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Looks like the blue oval on that sticker in the pics.

Not saying it's a good set up, but it may in fact be a Ford part...even if it is a dealer ad-on.
I could not make out whether that sticker on the amplifier is a Ford oval...or not.

But, since it has the plastic CC operating lever that attaches to the turn signal handle, it is not factory installed CC.

Some of the 1975/79 F100/350 factory installed CC parts can be found NOS. Some are the same as 1974/79 Passenger Cars, 1975/91 Econolines, 1978/79 Bronco's.

The dealer installed CC parts were obsoleted within a few years, and are almost impossible to find NOS...or used.

And, if it's aftermarket CC, and something needs to be replaced...lotsa luck finding the parts!

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
btw: There is no sensor on the driveshaft. AFAIK, there isn't a driveshaft mounted sensor for anything...for any year.
To clarify...what I should have typed.

There is a sensor, but it is not integral with the speedo cables, it's a separate part.

With factory installed CC, there are two speedo cables...upper and lower...the sensor fits in between them.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
To clarify...what I should have typed.

There is a sensor, but it is not integral with the speedo cables, it's a separate part.

With factory installed CC, there are two speedo cables...upper and lower...the sensor fits in between them.

Ditto, the sensor connects the two speedo cables at the firewall directly below and to the left of the master cylinder, so you have a short speedo cable from the speedometer to the sensor, and the longer cable runs to the transfer case on a 4WD.

I just got home and saw this

I have a list for the swap and what he sent is no where close to what you need.

ie: Different Brake booster and pedal, special brake switch,special
No one but we very mentions this.

Cruise control swap

Parts required listing.
Cruise Control Horn pad and switches
Cruise Control module (Underdash)
Cruise Control wiring (Underdash)
Cruise Control actuating device on Intake
(Carb linkage chain,bracketry,Vacuum pod)
Vacuum actuation device harness
Vacuum Canister and hose to rear of intake.
Brake Booster special for cruise
Brake Pedal & Pedal Assembly
Cruise Control shutoff switch
Cruise control brake light switch
Horn Relay wiring
2 piece Speedo cable
Speed Sensor on Speedo cablefor cruise

Ahem Dennis the Menace has all sorts of photos on this stuff at his photobucket site.

I have been helping hundreds of people with them and it comes as a surprise that you didn't know that.

CruiseUnderdashHarness.jpg

cruiseunderhoodhoserouting.jpg

CruisesetupV81977-.jpg

78cruisewiringdiagram.jpg

BrakeBoosterApplication1-1.jpg

BrakePedalAsemblyPage2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of extra speed control parts

Not all of them.

The job is not quite plug and play and it best to have all the parts before starting the swap.

Is this for the 77 or 79 ?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Did'ja know that there are FIVE different brake pedals with CC? One specific CC brake pedal does not fit all.

D5TZ-2455-A = 1976/76 F350.

D5TZ-2455-B = 1975/76 F100/250.

D7TZ-2455-D = 1977/78 F100/350 & 1979 F100/350 before serial number DJ0,001.

D9TZ-2455-B = 1979 F100/350 from serial number DJ0,001.

Why didn't I mention the brake pedal? Because Ben made no reference what year the parts were from, what year he was installing them on. Besides the pedal, there are other year specific CC parts.

1975/77 is not all the same as 1978/79.

But...once I noticed that plastic CC handle in Ben's pics, I knew it was not factory installed CC. I told Ben PASS! .. He didn't want it...so, the entire thread is moot.

btw: You only posted ONE parts catalog factory installed F100/350 CC pic (section 97.1-page 6), There are TWO others that also apply: Section 97.1 pages 2 & 3.

Of course, if the people that own these old rolling piles of misery had their own parts catalog, then they wouldn't have ta continuously beg for pics. :rotz:

Dennis: How the hell would I know what pics you have? I have no use for them, cuz I have the parts catalogs and haven't owned a dent since 1988.

When someone asks for pics, then I list the section/page(s) they can be found...to save you the trouble of trolling thru parts catalogs pics looking for them.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for all that info Dennis. I was hoping to get the CC in the 77.

Okay for a 77 with a 351M/400 C6 ...correct?

BrakePedalAssemblyPage1.jpg

Bill The comments about the images was directed at Ben, not you.

In fact I posted a reply without even reading the thread

Plus I'm going to upload some conent to my FTF gallery now

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts