Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dang electricity...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Have charging issues on my motorcycle.

Beginning to think it is my regulator/rectifier (converts AC to DC then sends to battery to charge). I checked continuity among the 3 yellow wires at the stator (AC creating thingy) end and had no resistance (not supposed to). When I checked each of the wires to ground I came up with infinity (1 on my digital MM). Both those, from what I've read, make me think the stator is alright...

HELP!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
From the winding to ground, should read infinite...otherwise one of the windings is shorted to ground...but I'm a little baffled as to why you are not getting a reading between the wires...typically they are "Y" wound and joined at the center...you should get a low resistance reading....you are meaning the stator windings right?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
From the winding to ground, should read infinite...otherwise one of the windings is shorted to ground...but I'm a little baffled as to why you are not getting a reading between the wires...typically they are "Y" wound and joined at the center...you should get a low resistance reading....you are meaning the stator windings right?

I'm getting continuity between the 3 stator wires at the stator end.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
OK...it is actually a very, very low resistance...depending on the meter, it will look like zero. That would indicate the stator is ok. Is there a diode pack in the alternator or is it contained in the regulator?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
OK...it is actually a very, very low resistance...depending on the meter, it will look like zero. That would indicate the stator is ok. Is there a diode pack in the alternator or is it contained in the regulator?

As far as I know the diodes are in the r/r

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would be inclined to suspect that then...you have checked the battery and associated connections?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
first things I checked... Unfortunately, it couldn't have been that easy...

Will go back and recheck the stator stuff tonight. These tests were all done with the bike cold, as I have the r/r 6 wires in a mess...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Update??? .

Sorry...

Okay, I got a Mosfet R/R kit in the mail Friday and installed it Sunday. Cranked the bike up and it appears to be charging now. Getting around 14.8 VDC at the battery at 4-5k rpms.

Now I need to go back and route the wires and sew it all up. Ended up splicing in new stator wires from the stator to the R/R, and need to wrap those up with the wiring harness.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You might want to consider using either self vulcanizing rubber tape or heatshrink with sealant for covering those splices...did you butt splice or solder them?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
You might want to consider using either self vulcanizing rubber tape or heatshrink with sealant for covering those splices...did you butt splice or solder them?

Just the stator splices?

For the time being I put bullet connectors on them. Once I get my soldering gun (still in Mississippi) I will go back, solder all connections, then put heatshrink on them.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts