Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Crappy plastic head light lenses

Polish versus poly-urethane?

A local guy swears the poly-urethane method lasts much
longer than polishing. ...but is it any good tho? :/

And what's with them getting so stinkin' dull to start with?
The tail light lenses don't get that dull so quick.
The plastic RR signal lenses didn't get dull like that and at
least three different types of plastic were used for those.

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think it was Eric aka 1970custom just did a thread on restoring them with a 3M product. It's only a couple days old, so it should be easy to find. Seems like the general understanding is the 'better' products keep the headlights clear for 6-12 months...and the cheaper stuff as little as a few weeks.

I did a total strip and resto of mine last year, and have had no yellowing (or fogging) since. But that entailed separating the lens from housing, then wet sanding the whole lens smooth with 600 grit in the bathtub (to keep the plastic from burning), then stepping up to 800, then 1500, and finishing with 2000...took all the chips, yellowing, and scratches out....then finished polished it with Rubbing compound, then two coats of Meguiars Plastic polish with a foam pad, and finished with a good wax....all in all about 30 bucks work of stuff (enough to do this plenty of times) and about 6 hours of work, but its been worth it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts