Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cracked intake manifold?

rambler

New Shoes......
ok, just pulled the intake manifold off the 2000 5.4 ..and I do know it looks like it is leaking between the metal and plastic intake pieces on the crossover pipe. from my searches now, this is common? and only recourse is a new intake manifold ? I have not had a chance to check it out completely, but wouldnt there be some sort of o-ring or something I can fix ?

cannot really afford a new intake this close to Christmas!

blacksnapon

Staff member
ok, just pulled the intake manifold off the 2000 5.4 ..and I do know it looks like it is leaking between the metal and plastic intake pieces on the crossover pipe. from my searches now, this is common? and only recourse is a new intake manifold ? I have not had a chance to check it out completely, but wouldnt there be some sort of o-ring or something I can fix ?

cannot really afford a new intake this close to Christmas!
A couple of years ago there was a tsb about the cracking of the intakes in that area. It fell under the warranty guidelines (if you have warranty left). Yeah, replacement is your only recourse.

rambler

New Shoes......
got it off, looks like maybe just worn out "o" rings..in the crossover pipe where it mounts to the plastic intake.. ( yep plastic) but alas.. cannot get these things at any parts store... got a part # for felpro, but noone has them in stock.. go figure..

have not see any cracks yet.. but will clean it up some more to be sure.. then maybe get the parts in..

rambler

New Shoes......
well dont think the intake is cracked just the crossover o-rings.. ( not really o-shaped) is where it is leaking, looked up fel-pro part # ES71213 @$ 3.99 for both plus shipping as NO ONE near or in KC stocks them? 4-5 days to get.. ( they want to sell me a new intake for $265+..

so called dealer..ok, after explaining what it is, they finally found it.. $ 9.99.. well ok, little high but they got it.. BUT WAIT.. that is just for the ONE.. the other.. is $ 11.99.. come on ! was afraid to ask what the intake gasket and thermostat o-ring is as well.. .

Wife wonder why I didnt buy it? so now tomorrow have to instead of waiting.. to order.. ...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
That's the dealer for you

blacksnapon

Staff member
Its good that you shop around. Many times, the prices at the dealer is lower than aftermarket suppliers (we check constantly). Not to mention, the crooked backyard "expert" mechanics.

rambler

New Shoes......
got it up and running, at least I know the dealer had the part, and so far no more vacuum leakage or antifreeze, except for the occasional air bubble that then throws up all the antifreeze out of the overflow LOL..

but she is happy, and no new intake..

blacksnapon

Staff member
got it up and running, at least I know the dealer had the part, and so far no more vacuum leakage or antifreeze, except for the occasional air bubble that then throws up all the antifreeze out of the overflow LOL..

but she is happy, and no new intake..
Good that you got it running. I think I've done one of those. Its kind of so close, yet so far away. Its right there, but you have to pull the intake to get to the bolts.

Ford Truck Articles