Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Couple quick questions

1 - The belts for the alternator and power steering are not aligned very straight. there are a lot of spacers and washers being used. By looking at the pics can anyone see anything out of the ordinary as in wrong brackets, or possibly wrong components?

05_-_19_-_11_007.jpg

05_-_19_-_11_001.jpg

2 - The heater hoses are leaking and will be replaced. Is it necessary for the metal lines mounted on top of the valve covers? Was thinking of just running the hoses direct from the pump to the heater core like my 79 is done.

05_-_19_-_11_004.jpg

The truck above 45 mph would start to shake and sounded like the motor was missing and running real bad but would smooth out at slower speeds. Noticed that there might be a little problem with the fuel line.

05_-_19_-_11_006.jpg

And that was after I moved the line and un-crimped it some.

The fuel line needs fixed, it wnt run right with it crimped like that, it wnt be able to get enough fuel when it nds it.

I cnt really tell from the pic about the belts, but unless they're squealing, I wouldn't worry about it?

Fuel line will definatly be fixed.
one belt is pretty torn up on the sides from being at and angle I'm assuming.
trying to compare with the 400 in the 79 but there are alot of difsferences.
Just happens to be a motor I've never messed with and have alot of learning to do.

Fuel line will definatly be fixed.
one belt is pretty torn up on the sides from being at and angle I'm assuming.
trying to compare with the 400 in the 79 but there are alot of difsferences.
Just happens to be a motor I've never messed with and have alot of learning to do.

Same here, maybe someone with more 460 knowledge will chime in.

Only thing I could tell ya is to add or take away washers untill everything is lined up the best that they can be.

The pwr steering pump bracket looks wrong, what year 460 are you talking about?

The pwr steering pump bracket looks wrong, what year 460 are you talking about?

I didn't look for the block stamping yesterday. On my way to upstate New York right now will check Saturday when I get back.

Reasons I think it might be wrong bracket. It adjusted out all the way. Wrong bracket or wrong belt. Its the same as my 400 bracket that's mounted thru the AC compresser bracket then into the head. But the 400 has a plate covering the timing chain where the 460 has a timing chain cover that is approximately 3 inches thick moving the water pump and pulley out that much farther.

Just thought about something. The VIN search showed that it came with a 351. Wondering if they used that bracket and just made it work with what they had laying around during the engine swap.

One good thing about my job is I have hours upon hours of driving down the road thinking about stuff.

Just thought about something. The VIN search showed that it came with a 351. Wondering if they used that bracket and just made it work with what they had laying around during the engine swap.

One good thing about my job is I have hours upon hours of driving down the road thinking about stuff.

Probably, it sure looks like a 351m/400 pump and bracket.

That's what I was thinking.
I have all the bracketry for a 75 or a 78 460

Last edited:
Here a page out of my service manual from my 79.

05_-_19_-_11.jpg

Bottom right pic shows the same bracket that i have. look toward the middle of the pic and you will see what appears to be a specific 460 CID Bracket.

I'll see what the stamping number on the part is supposed to be for the 460

Design/engineering numbers are cast or stamped on ford parts. The original and change-up numbers are those that appear on the part.

What is the length of the adjustment stud ?

Powersteeringon460.jpg

Last edited:
Okay,that leaves the belt and the bracket spacers which comes in different lengths to accomodate the block castings ...

what is the number stamped on the belt and length of spacers ?

the first 2 #'s represent the width in mm followed by either an letter or 4 numbers whcih represent the length.

Last edited:
Okay so which truck is this for ?

79 460 4x2 ?

See last post on page one.
There was some 460 info in my factory 79 service Manuel that I was using. Sorry for any confusion.
I think I'm going to have to drive out to a small yard that has 18 - 20 dents and see if he has anything with a 460 in it.
When this motor was swapped in they seemed to use whatever they had to get it to work, and I would like to get it put togetherthe right way.

So far I have figured out that the bracket is incorrect and that gets me going in the right direction.

No one has mentioned anything about the metal tubes connected to the heater hoses.
the only thing I see is that they are connected so there is a flow when the heater door is closed. What's the worst that could happen if I ran the rubber lines direct eliminating the metal tubes?

I have never seen the bypass part of those metal tubes,
Normally the bypass is at the T-Stat housing.
I am going to have to look for this set up in the parts books then will get back to you

EDIT: I found that pipe used on several Ford cars from 73-78.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles