Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

coil spring question

I have a 94 F150 4x4 with the heavy duty front suspension on it. Well the truck was in an accident. The drivers side of the truck was hit, on an angle I think. They hit the front tire, and slid rearward. The front tire, and suspension was damaged a little. The only thing I can see was replaced was the arm that goes from the I-beam by the spring rearward. The problem with the truck is the front drivers side sits a little low, like maybe they replaced the spring with the standard spring. It would have been a used on though, cause it sure does not look new. Would that be likely or possible? The only other thing I would think is the end of the I-beam where the upper and lower ball joints go would be bent. For now I have put some rubber spring shims in the spring and it has helped a little.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Is the frame still straight? It could be that the suspension is the same height and the truck panels have been lowered...

Ryan

I don't know for sure, but I would say yes the frame is still straight. When I am looking at the height of the truck I am looking at the distance from the bumpers to the ground on all four corners and the space between the frame and the rubber bumpers that hit when it bottoms out. The body panels are not damaged much at all. The bottom rear of the front fender was pushed into the door a little, the hinges are messed up on the door only the slightest bit, then, between the door and the rear wheel on the very bottom, that little spot is bent in about 3-6 inches.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Could have tweaked a body mount...or the coil was replaced with a junkyard peice from a truck that was used for plowing or just driven harder and it is sagged. when the truck is sitting on level ground check how compressed the shocks on each side are to tell if one spring really is sagging more or if the body is tweaked

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
they probably just fix the damaged side and the drivers is shot . But its easy to tweak the frames on these. If have time to kill swap springs to other side only couple hours and will tell you(and save funds) if its spring or not

well thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try to get some pictures taken and posted sometime. I think part of the problem was the drivers side rear spring mount was rusted, bent and recently broke. No that I have a new one, the truck is sitting closer to level. The drivers side still might be a little lower, but much better. The front drivers side still seems to be off though. Is the camber adjustable? The top of the front drivers side leans in a little, making it pull to the right just a little. It is not bad, but with most everything else fixed, that would be next on the list to fix. thanks

well thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try to get some
pictures taken and posted sometime.
Pictures won't help is my bet. :/

Measuring the crap out of everything you can think of to measure is
what's needed. In the process of all that measuring and thinking you
will figure out what's going on and so what's needed too.

The drivers side still might be a little lower, but much better.
The front drivers side still seems to be off though.
Only measuring stuff will prove it and tell you how much it's really out
and exactly what is out of whack.

What's the coil springs' wire sizes (again)?

Is the camber adjustable? The top of the front drivers side
leans in a little, making it pull to the right just a little.
That's what's going on with my '91 Bronco and its camber "adjusted" up
-perfectly- by putting a scissor jack between the rear axle and frame
on the driver's side and raising it like and inch. You see? It's the rear
springs and not anything wrong with the front. See it now? :) In the
process of measuring the crap out of everything taught me that.

Easy as that.

Are you game to figure it out like you mean business? :)
...or just want to take pictures? ;)

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles