Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Club 4.9 (Official 240/300ci discussion thread)

martin0605

I bleed BLUE!!!
All hale the 300!! A 300 built with a hedder and some steel or glass packs sounds SWEET!!! A sound all of their own. Kinda like a flathead,unique.
I have 2. One is on the stand waiting fora rebuild. It will be replacing the built 351M,and swapping to a t-18 or 435,in my 78 sb 4x. Haven't decided on tranny yet. The other is in storage and will be put in my 75. It will be alowered street crusier. Nothing fancy just a lowered driver. Everyone has a V8 in theirs,but not me!!
Right now all projects are on hold,till better finances come about. But will post pics as I start.

My 1995 F-350 is the third truck I've owned with a 300 in it,and I haven't been dissapointed with any of them. I have hauled/pulled just about anything I've wanted to without an issue. Sure,I won't be entering it into the Cannonball Run or anything,but heck,it's a one ton dump truck. When I want to go fast I have another horse in the stable for that.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
Ford never used the "BB6" in Aussie land. All they had was the "Falcon" six, 144-250 and the modern 4.0.

We have two 300 powered rigs at home, one is my 93 that is "near stock" and one in my dads 95 F-150. I been playing with 300s since i bought my truck about 8 years ago and love it. I drove my 93 with a dead cylinder back n forth to college (60 miles one way) for 8 months with blow by so bad it would push out 4 quarts of oil in one trip. All i did was recover and refill the oil, kept on chuggin like that for said 8 months before it took a dump on me. i ran that out of oil a few times on longer trips, jut filled it up and the knockin went away and it ran like a top. Even when it did finally die, i had it towed to my house, topped the coolant and oil off and it still ran hard. Tore the engine down to find the #5 ring was cracked in half and a chunk taken out of the piston. The #5 combustion chamber had a crack about 3 inches that went in the CC and down into the exhaust port. I take it over heated a little ha.

so i dropped in a junkyard engine, heard it run before pulled, good comp and oil pressure. I regasketed the engine and put another cam and steel timing gears in it like the first one. Then i added headers, ported the intakes out, port matched the upper for a 351 throttle body, tweaked the igintion and a few other secrets. Runs like a champ still. Its not a bent 8 but it does whatever i want. Still lookin for a head to P/P and some larger injectors...someday maybe.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I just bought a 1988 F150 with a 300 EFI and 4 Speed,It's a blast to drive. Add me to the 300 Fan Club

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Love my 300.

I only wish she was faster. For the fuel she uses she should be twice as quick.

Still, the truck has multiple holes in the powerband. I'm not sure why.

count me in . i have my 76 f-150 with the 300. it gets about 20 m.p.g. but she is no speed demon. but i love that engine loads of toruqe

nevrenufhp

California Chapter member
I got a 300 in my 67. I just ordered a cam for it Friday. Then it'll have all the traditional hot rod add ons.
As you may find out by building one, they need a better head. Forced induction kinda helps there.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I am taking the 400/auto out of my 79 Bronco and replacing it with a 300/4spd.

I like 300s.

havi

third member
I am taking the 400/auto out of my 79 Bronco and replacing it with a 300/4spd.

I like 300s.
Did it myself. (I used a C6 and NP203, too) I'm happy with the results.

85 F150 explorer 300 I6

I like I6s have them in both of my trucks. I think ford makes the cummings too.
I have a question tho , I picked up a 95 efi 300 motor $75 can that motor be converted to a carbed DSII system?. They were pretty rough pulling it tho I don't think they undid anything just hooked a chain to it and jerked it out. But I was thinking about rebuilding it with minor mods as a spare engine. My 300 I6 in my truck has 250,000 mI on it "still runs strong and don't smoke" I did do the duraspark II conversion.
Thanks for any and all responses.:)

nevrenufhp

California Chapter member
I like I6s have them in both of my trucks. I think ford makes the cummings too.
I have a question tho , I picked up a 95 efi 300 motor $75 can that motor be converted to a carbed DSII system?. They were pretty rough pulling it tho I don't think they undid anything just hooked a chain to it and jerked it out. But I was thinking about rebuilding it with minor mods as a spare engine. My 300 I6 in my truck has 250,000 mI on it "still runs strong and don't smoke" I did do the duraspark II conversion.
Thanks for any and all responses.:)
Ford doesn't make Cummings nor Cummins. Never did. Cummins is a diesel engine manufacturer. Ford uses Cummins in the F650 and above.
Ford's tractor brand, New Holland made diesels for the 86-93 Med Duty trucks. They were a 6.6 or a 7.8.

Having owned one, Navistar(who makes International semis) made them. They were 6.9l and 7.3l v8s.N/A IDI until 94.5 then were the DI powerstrokes, still made by navistar until 2011. There was turbo IDI available during the first half of 94, excellent motor but rare.
They were even used in school buses.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts