Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Clicking/clunking in trans

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Most of the problems that have occurred or results of my tinkering (this one is a prime example). Trans only started doing it after I took it apart... Twice :headbang: Do I have any regrets? Absolutely not. I tinker for 2 reasons-- (1) In hopes that my truck will be more awesome and (2) To learn about how to work on my truck. After installing the shift kit I now know how to get up into the trans a little bit and get my hands dirty. Working on the trans doesn't scare me quite as much as it used to. I know I only removed the valve bodies and separator plate but it still made me feel more confident in my mechanical abilities. If the trans grenades, whelp then I'll find a ZF sooner than I planned :rofl: It's all a learning experience for me-- this truck is (unfortunately) my guinea pig.

Nothing is for sure-- but it's coming from the general transmission area and it started right after I modified the trans internals. Not to mention that it's DEFINITELY coming from underneath the truck, and when in park there are no moving components down there except for the transmission and the rear of the engine. I also thought maybe it was my cats expanding and popping but the clunks were too evenly spaced-- like clockwork.

The solenoid pack is inside the trans. So that also be a "transmission" problem in my book.

What's a shift selector and which relays would be there? Last I checked-- most of the relays for electrical components are located in the fuse box and aren't related to transmission components.

as do i chris. without books or anything like that.

as far as the zf swap goes. Im going that way aswell, but im at lost to what to do with the old shift selector bar (big switch maybe LOL)

yea solenoid pack wouth be "transmission" in my book too but i was just throwing out some ideas. Might try getting a mechanics stethoscope and listening for the sound. or a screwed driver would work. and listen around for it.

sure you got everything connnected up nice and tight.

Im waiting to see this ZF swap in action, maybe I could help? That transmission seems to be nothing but trouble for you lately. How much does a ZF cost anyway, and how do you remove all of the AT equipment?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Im waiting to see this ZF swap in action, maybe I could help? That transmission seems to be nothing but trouble for you lately. How much does a ZF cost anyway, and how do you remove all of the AT equipment?
My hopes with the ZF project is that I won't invest any more than $1000-1200 for a used or rebuilt trans PLUS all the swap parts.

Removing the e4od will be the hardest part-- it'll require a behemoth trans jack. This transmission is ridiculously large.

My hopes with the ZF project is that I won't invest any more than $1000-1200 for a used or rebuilt trans PLUS all the swap parts.

Removing the e4od will be the hardest part-- it'll require a behemoth trans jack. This transmission is ridiculously large.

Hmm, What is different about a Trans jack as opposed to a standard hydraulic jack? The floor jack here is rated for 12000lbs, that should be enough to lower it... smilietease

Just gotta figure out hot to make it work, thats all. ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Can't use a regular floor jack or you'll crunch the pan. Transmission jack has a much wider plate that the transmission sits on top of, plus chains to wrap around the transmission for balancing while you lower it, like this:

transjack.jpg

Can't use a regular floor jack or you'll crunch the pan. Transmission jack has a much wider plate that the transmission sits on top of, plus chains to wrap around the transmission for balancing while you lower it, like this:

Hmm. My jack is just like that but bigger. I would need the bigger end piece though. I wonder if one could get an attachment or something?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
the little plates on jacks come out so it wouldnt be that hard to get an adapter.

I just used a flat peice of 3/4 inch thick wood and two chunks of 4x12 is and a ratchet strap to get mine out.

We orignally tried a fourwheeler/motorcycle jack at no avail. it wouldnt quite fit under the truck.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Chris, I would try this to narrow it down. Start the truck and set the parking brake. Crawl under it with a long screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint exactly where the noise is. Other than that, I don't know where to begin.

(Trista, Chris really needs a ZF)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts