Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Clicking/clunking in trans

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I just CAN'T be happy can I?!?!?

So as some of you may have read-- I just replaced the shift springs from my shift kit BACK to the stock springs. Now when the truck is cold, there is a noticeably loud clicking/thunking noise coming from the transmission. It clicks in a uniform pattern, once about every 5-6 seconds.

**CLICK** 1...2...3...4...5 **CLICK** 1...2...3...4...5 **CLICK**

You get the idea. This happens in park-- shift to reverse to back down my driveway and the clicking remains the same as I back up slowly. It doesn't seem to be affected by which gear I'm in.

Take a short drive and get the trans to operating temp, stop and throw it in park to listen-- no noise. Here operating temp is ~110* F (cold weather and a short drive). Next cold start-- clicking is back.

I also noticed when I rolled up my window that I could still hear it, and one of the clicks made a little more of a thunk noise-- you could even feel the thunk in the floorboards. I'm pretty worried.

Other than this-- the transmission seems to be operating completely normal. Scratch that-- it's operating GREAT. I was just telling Trista on the way home from my mom's that the truck was driving like a million bucks. All shifts feel very healthy and at the right speed/rpm/throttle position.

Any ideas?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Does it speed up the faster that you go (ground speed) or the faster the engine speed?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
did you remove the B&M jumper cable when you removed the springs? maybe its that? or it doesnt have anything to do with it?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vince it doesn't seem to be affected by either of those speeds. I revved it and there was no apparent change. Also no apparent change when I was backing up.

Jurgen I'm fairly certain that I can leave that jumper installed. I've still got a few other shift kit components installed, just not the springs.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince it doesn't seem to be affected by either of those speeds. I revved it and there was no apparent change. Also no apparent change when I was backing up.

Jurgen I'm fairly certain that I can leave that jumper installed. I've still got a few other shift kit components installed, just not the springs.
Ok, parking pawl is on the output shaft. So, if the pawl was contacting the gear, you'd get a faster sound with ground speed (we just eliminated that).

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
just a kinda off topic question. But why are you having so many problems with your truck? ive got i dont know how many miles. and hard miles at that. and i dont have near the problems you do. Haft the time i let mine go for a while too.

But as far as the problem goes, are you sure its the tranny?

Maybe a solenoid (shift solenoid) f-ing up. Or something not related to the tranny what soever. Maybe a relay near the your shift selector malfunctioning. Just and idea

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
just a kinda off topic question. But why are you having so many problems with your truck? ive got i dont know how many miles. and hard miles at that. and i dont have near the problems you do. Haft the time i let mine go for a while too.
Most of the problems that have occurred or results of my tinkering (this one is a prime example). Trans only started doing it after I took it apart... Twice :headbang: Do I have any regrets? Absolutely not. I tinker for 2 reasons-- (1) In hopes that my truck will be more awesome and (2) To learn about how to work on my truck. After installing the shift kit I now know how to get up into the trans a little bit and get my hands dirty. Working on the trans doesn't scare me quite as much as it used to. I know I only removed the valve bodies and separator plate but it still made me feel more confident in my mechanical abilities. If the trans grenades, whelp then I'll find a ZF sooner than I planned :rofl: It's all a learning experience for me-- this truck is (unfortunately) my guinea pig.

But as far as the problem goes, are you sure its the tranny?
Nothing is for sure-- but it's coming from the general transmission area and it started right after I modified the trans internals. Not to mention that it's DEFINITELY coming from underneath the truck, and when in park there are no moving components down there except for the transmission and the rear of the engine. I also thought maybe it was my cats expanding and popping but the clunks were too evenly spaced-- like clockwork.

Maybe a solenoid (shift solenoid) f-ing up.
The solenoid pack is inside the trans. So that also be a "transmission" problem in my book.

Maybe a relay near the your shift selector malfunctioning. Just and idea
What's a shift selector and which relays would be there? Last I checked-- most of the relays for electrical components are located in the fuse box and aren't related to transmission components.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Jurgen the MLPS is a sensor, not a relay. Shouldn't be making any clicking sounds.

Anthony I should have said before-- this clicking is much too loud to be a regular old relay. Maybe a bigass deep cycle solenoid or something but not a run-of-the-mill relay.

Dan the fluid level is right around where it needs to be, if not just a SMIDGE too high.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Plus I used the same fluid after I swapped the springs back. Drained it into a brand new and freshly cleaned 5-gallon bucket, then refilled with that fluid. Noise didn't start 'til after the spring swap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dan...I think you're reaching for straws man.

That is all...nothing helpful to say, I'm pretty much a tranny dunce.

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
Had the same problem with my truck...

As it was, months earlier, I had inadvertently run over my mother-in-law without knowing it. I drove around for months with that damn clicking/banging sound under there.

Have you checked that out?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Had the same problem with my truck...

As it was, months earlier, I had inadvertently run over my mother-in-law without knowing it. I drove around for months with that damn clicking/banging sound under there.

Have you checked that out?
Good idea. I'll check if your mother in law is under there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts