Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

clean and paint???

While i have the engine, tranny, and bed off the truck i was wanting to clean up the under side of the truck. It has 40 years of dirt and grime on the frame, rear end and such. how do i (or should i) clean all that crap off without taking it down to the frame? should i paint it after cleaning and with what type of paint? im saving up money for my engine and want the truck looking good (with little money) when i put it back in.

I would just pressure wash it and clean it up a bit. I've seen people paint frames without detailing and painting everthing and IMO it looks like a hack job.

Unless your going to paint everything to make it look "show quality" I would just clean it up. IMO nothing looks worse than a ground down, wire brushed frame painted with a spray can, or even worse is brushed on por15. Just my 2 cents.

Back when I had done a restoration, R-M used to make a paint called, "Chassis Black". It's a soft, non shiny but not flat paint made especially for painting frames and components thereof. I don't even know if R-M is even in business anymore but I would imagine all of the major manufacturers have a similar product.

Well if you have the time and energy.

I suggest steam cleaning the undercarriage after prepping it with a degreaser.

Then you head for the anti-rust, undercarriage prep before paint.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd degrease the undercarriage as best you can, I'd probably suggest chemically (power purple or the like) followed by a pressure washer. Then coat everything you can with POR-15.

Ford Truck Articles