Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

chip/ programmer

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
..so...the 4.9 is killin me..the only time i cant get that thing to break traction on them 31'' tires is in the gravel w my foot in it...shes no hot rod...but i knew itd be that way when i bought the truck, som im gonna hafta solve this problem...yall know of any decent chips or programmers to squeeze some juice outa this thing? im gonna pop an e-fan on it and maybe some longtube headers n cai and 4.10 rear gears but idk abt the last 3 yet...any suggestions? im not lookin to make a dadgummed dragster out of it im just lookin to see if i can get a little more power from her without diggin around inside the engine....if no one noticed yet i CANT have a slow vehicle it just dont rub the right way with me

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
sell it and buy something with a V8. from the way u post ur never going to be happy with it so to avoid *****ing and moaing bout dumping money into a pig just get rid of it.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i didnt figure they'd have chis n programmers for that early of an engine..o well it was worth askin....but the 4.9 is very frustrating....especially arnd 55 or 60...its a chore to get it around 65 or higher....and that s**t dont fly with me lol

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
something isnt right then. my dads stone stock 95 F150 4x4 300/E4OD with 210,000 will cruise at any speed from 50-75/80 no problems. it wont bark the tires, but i dont expect it to.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i can get it there but i gotta seriously stick my foot in it to get it up there...i mean it'll cuise once i get it there but from about 55 on up acceleration is just piss poor....i think it has alot to do w the 31x10'' tires ant the fact tht its ext cab

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds like you've got some other issues going on Chase. Acceleration is one thing but if you're struggling to get to 65 then something is wrong. What's your timing set to? When the last time it had a tuneup? Fuel filter?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
full tune up like chris said

and chek the cats if they are clogged becuase the 1990 4.9 5speed i had had no probs going over 85 :)

no mods.. just hollowed cat and straight pipes

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm with the rest of these guys...Chips/programmers for a gasser are pretty much pointless. A CAI is more like a hot air intake drawing in the hot air from the engine bay...meaning it does more harm than good. I'd say a good solig tune up, cam kit and gears. That being said, it is a 300/6...it pulls stumps, not good 1/4 mile times.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i put new spark plugs and wires on it right after i got it along w oil change and sone b12 chemtool fuel system cleaner my timing is set to the factory setting at 10, tomorro ill give the dist. a good look over. i realize the 4.9 is no 428cobra jet and the truck aint no 1/4 mile dragster, but most of my driving time im around 60-70 mph .. (mostly for passing slow @$$ people on the highway, and not taking forever to do so) im mostly looking for a little more acceleration at 50-75mph. after awhile im sure ill get used to it..i guess i got a case of the 6cyl. blues, this truck is my first without a v8 so im having to adjust to the 4.9

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I'm with the rest of these guys...Chips/programmers for a gasser are pretty much pointless. A CAI is more like a hot air intake drawing in the hot air from the engine bay...meaning it does more harm than good. I'd say a good solig tune up, cam kit and gears. That being said, it is a 300/6...it pulls stumps, not good 1/4 mile times.

Bravo.....you wouldn't believe how many ignorants argue will argue over that.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i kno, unless ur running that hose to where its directly drawing air from outside the vehicle it aint gna help any

Many of the 4.9 trucks got Lincoln towncar gearing.. 2.73 or 3.08 believe it or not.. which is all wrong for a vehicle that is supposed to haul stuff and doubly bad for one with poor aerodynamics. Check the axle code on the drivers door pillar, 12 = 2.73, 18 = 3.08. Ideal gearig for the 4.9 and 31" tires is about 3.73.. this motor makes all it's power below 3500rpm so it needs to be greared a little higher than a 5.0 would.

My last I6 was a 250. I always felt gearbound above 55, and thought I was pretty much stuck with it. Then I met a guy in college who raced AMC Gremlins- he and his brothers, that is. They owned 4 6 cyl gremlins, and I was stunned when I saw the way they performed.
He popped the hood and showed me their carb setup-6 weber side-flows. He said the issue wasn't so much gear-binding, but that at those RPMS the engine was starving for air flow from it's little 1-bbl carb.

I decided to drop some cash on a set up for my truck, and it was AWESOME. Instant gratification, and enormous increases in power- Pricey, but worth it.
And when I finally sold that truck, it sold for 3 times what I'd paid for it!
Food for thought, anyway.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i helped my buddy install 4.10s in his gen 6 f100 w the 302 and we noticed significant gain im a strong believer that horsepower does no good without the right gearing to put it on the ground...im gonna give it a full tune up and see where it goes from there n if its still sluggish im gna look into new rear gears and maybe a larger throttle body

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i helped my buddy install 4.10s in his gen 6 f100 w the 302 and we noticed significant gain im a strong believer that horsepower does no good without the right gearing to put it on the ground...im gonna give it a full tune up and see where it goes from there n if its still sluggish im gna look into new rear gears and maybe a larger throttle body

a stock engine can only take in a certain amount of usable air. a larger throttle body is going to be useless IMHO. gears are gonna help more than anything.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts