Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cheap Trick(No, not the band) for turn signal

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Recently, I snapped one of the canceling cams on the turn signal. The turn signal would not lock in place during a turn, so I had to hold it in place until the turn was completed.

This is a '78 tilt column, so you have to buy the whole switch($120), AND you have to remove the wires from the connector at the bottom of the steering column, and reconnect the new wires to the connector.

A couple of years ago, I had to replace the turn signal switch on the '89 with a tilt column(don't remember why:( ), but for some odd reason I kept the old switch. I was looking at the switch for the '89 tonight, and VOILA, the canceling cam setup is exactly the same. I had to clip two wires to remove the old cam, then soldered the wires back onto the new cam, then heat shrunk the wires.

I now have a turn signal that stays in place and cancels itself.bigdance

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I'm really digging on this. Same question as Mark.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you all. I tried to look up comparison prices between the '89 w/tilt and the '78 w/tilt. The D-C website no longer lists such a switch on their website for the '78, but a 2012 printed catalog shows a price of $100.

The '89 w/tilt shows a price of $150. So, unless you just happen to have an old spare lying around like I did, there is no savings.

Parts houses like NAPA do show a difference in price of about $30 cheaper for the '89 w/tilt.(if you are willing to take a chance)

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Btw....I like the band Cheap Trick....listened to them when I was a kid. :)

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts