Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Changes the place of airfilter; rough idle dissapeared

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi guys
As long as my truck was equipped with LPG injection , Idle was rough and the engine stalled...
After common sense thinking I saw the light! The Airtek filter ( like a K&N filter)
Was positioned amidst the enginebay, straight above the cooling fan..
when coming to a stop at a trafficlight, hot air was sucked into the engine an then the intake airtemp sensor measured hot air and the mixture leaned out. Two weeks ago I was in the middle of a heavy trafficjam at Amsterdam... The engine stopped!!! The I knew it for sure!! Last week I've mounted a two feet long rubber hose and the filter is now at the very left , just behind the mainlight left. Idle is fine now and no stall anymore.
Maybe this information is useful...
Best regards Ton

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep those after market air systems dont function on these trucks .

primetime

sawmill slave
It`s called "fan wash" and the Mustang guys have been dealing with it for years. That`s why you will see shields on the fan side of open element air filters on those cars (probably because of the popularity of the the car people figured it out). I thought it only applied to mass air vehicles, but maybe not.

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Are you running off of 100% LPG?

Goodmorning Flareside... Ehhh yes and no...
The "no"is, that the engine has to warm up on gas...so, a few miles has to be made on 'expensive fuel" then, the system automatically switches over to LPG.
The LPG/LPI computer "copies" the info the EEC IV gets from driving on gas...and calculates how much LPG is needed for the same amount of energy..
when I bought the truck, a good two years ago, a conventional Ampco LPGconvertor was fitted... That did give a lot of troubles... LPG is not 100%, compare to gas...The truck runs at its best on gas, but otherwise it's to expensive to have an American truck here.. sometimes some hips and dips when accelerating, but I drive like an old fart!!! I happy with it!!

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Goodmorning Flareside... Ehhh yes and no...
The "no"is, that the engine has to warm up on gas...so, a few miles has to be made on 'expensive fuel" then, the system automatically switches over to LPG.
The LPG/LPI computer "copies" the info the EEC IV gets from driving on gas...and calculates how much LPG is needed for the same amount of energy..
when I bought the truck, a good two years ago, a conventional Ampco LPGconvertor was fitted... That did give a lot of troubles... LPG is not 100%, compare to gas...The truck runs at its best on gas, but otherwise it's to expensive to have an American truck here.. sometimes some hips and dips when accelerating, but I drive like an old FORD!!! I happy with it!!

fixed it for you Ton!

Ford Truck Articles