Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cat converter removal

I have a 2002 F250 with 5.4. I want better mileage and plain beter sound. If I just plain remove the cat will it make my truck run badly or will it improve my mileage and sound much better? BTW I've removed the stock mufflet fir a cherry bomb with no noticible change and replaced the air filter with a spectre. i also drilled numberous holes on the air box. po boys cold air intake haha. i've picked up and 3 mpg.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 2002 F250 with 5.4. I want better mileage and plain beter sound. If I just plain remove the cat will it make my truck run badly or will it improve my mileage and sound much better? BTW I've removed the stock mufflet fir a cherry bomb with no noticible change and replaced the air filter with a spectre. i also drilled numberous holes on the air box. po boys cold air intake haha. i've picked up and 3 mpg.
No difference and it might hurt you. Rememver the downstream o2 sensor (otherwise known as a catalyst monitor). You'll get a check engine light.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
If it was me i would go to a dual cat back system with some quality turbo type mufflers, Flowmaster's,cherry bombs,ect you get the sound from the mufflers,not removing the converter. I run flowmasters on my 79,their loud enough to draw attention,give a nice cackle,but not overbearingly loud that i cant here my surroundings.

I'm not going to say that what I did will work on your truck do but I have both rear converters removed and have not had a check engine light on yet. I still have the front two converters on. the o2 sensors are after the front two converters the muffler shop had to put the o2 bongs in the pipes because they originally screwed into rear converters. I'm running true duals with an x pipe with race bullet dynomax mufflers and it loud!!!! I read somewhere true duals kill a little of the low end power but I don't know if that's true but yes you can delete cats but only the rear two. It will make your truck a little louder too.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts