Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CArry a spare EGR?

Kep4

Jäger
Just curious if any 6.0 owners here carry a spare EGR valve. I've been considering replacing the one in there now and keeping it as a spare since it works. It was replaced last October at 36K.

Whaddya think?

I know that when they get bad it's trouble. Having said that, at 41,000 I've got no indication that mine is malfunctioning whatsoever. I don't seem to remember Beach's going bad yet and I use him as my benchmark. So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't plan on carrying one as a spare.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself on what has been a flawless 6.0...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I have 120,000 miles on my 2003 6.0L and am still using the original EGR valve.

When I had a check engine light (needed new ICP sensor at 115,000 or so), they checked all PCM functions and manually operated the EGR and low and behold... all checked out!!! My EGR is not sticking and the "commands" that the Ford diesel tech gave it worked 100%.

Now, I have used double-dosage of PowerService fuel additive since 20,000 miles or so in every tank and believe that it helps make for a cleaner burn and less soot??

I switched to ULSD fuel as soon as it became available due to the lower "soot" levels it gives off and again in hopes of a cleaner burn through the EGR system?

Not sure what to say, except maybe my coolant filter has removed all the sediment that clogs up the EGR cooler and by having a cooler and more efficient EGR cooler and EGR valve... maybe I am getting better EGR performance than some others???

I do not think that the money to buy a new EGR valve is worth it. Even if your's built up with crud and stuck, you need a way to clean the "opening" that it comes out of. At the dieseltech site they show how one needs to use a brush and shop vac to loosen and suck out the "crud and buildup" and not let it remain in the inner workings of your motor. This is more than a "side of the road" fix. For this, I would just wait and then buy a new EGR valve is necessary.

Just my .02 worth... good luck.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Never had an issue with mine either. Oh wait, mine ain't workin' anyway. :) Nevermind!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Never had an issue with mine either. Oh wait, mine ain't workin' anyway. :) Nevermind!

Is that "ain't working" or "deleted... so it ain't working"? smiliestirthepot

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess it would be personal preference. If you can afford to, it would kind of be insurance. Your car insurance may never be used, but if you need it, its nice for it to be there. I've always been a proponent of quality fuel is the best insurance for a 6.0.

Ford just recalled all of my stock. I got a bunch of good ones now.

Ed

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED – STOP SALE on 4C3Z-9F452-A and
5C3Z- 9F452-AA

A manufacturing concern has been found in 6.0L EGR valve part numbers
4C3Z-9F452-A and 5C3Z- 9F452-AA.
A design change has been initiated to correct the issue.
Use of parts manufactured prior to this change could reduce customer satisfaction.
HOW TO IDENTIFY PARTS TO BE RETURNED

Isolate and quarantine all stock of part numbers 4C3Z-9F452-A and
5C3Z- 9F452-AA with package label date codes prior to 04/08/08.
Resume selling parts with a package date code of 04/08/08 and later.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Ed

5C3Z- 9F452-AA

Use of parts manufactured prior to this change could reduce customer satisfaction.

Thanks... good info to have.

Any idea on what the problem is/was and what was changed?

Kep4

Jäger
Thanks for the info Parts Guy! I'm putting together a short list of 'back up' parts including both engine belts.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Ed

5C3Z- 9F452-AA

Spoke to Ford the other day and the new ones are not 100% either.. Still hit or miss.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I guess it would be personal preference. If you can afford to, it would kind of be insurance. Your car insurance may never be used, but if you need it, its nice for it to be there. I've always been a proponent of quality fuel is the best insurance for a 6.0.

smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree The odds of it failing to the point that the truck will not function is slim. If your truck starts to act up and your thinking egr just unplug it and you won't have to worry about it getting stuck.

Kep4

Jäger
smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree The odds of it failing to the point that the truck will not function is slim. If your truck starts to act up and your thinking egr just unplug it and you won't have to worry about it getting stuck.
Thanks for the tip! :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts