Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carburetor leaking fittings

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Okay, one more question, for now. I have the model 1940 1V carb. that I rebuilt a few weeks back. Since having issues with the replacement of my radiator I have not had an opportunity to do a good run of the engine. I did crank it for a few minutes, though, and noticed fuel leaking from where the carburetor filter (brass looking thing) screws into another brass fitting on the front of the carb. I tightened as much as I could but still notice leakage. Someone recommended using some a thread adhesive that stops leaks (cannot remember the brand but it does mention that it can be used for fuel leaks). I went to pick some up and one of the older guys at O'Reilys mentioned that you can use plain old teflon tape in that fitting. I have heard that fuel and teflon tape make a bad combination. Any thoughts???

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I used Teflon tape on carb of my 65 and it worked fine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
All I use is the white teflon tape.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Good job. After seeing all you've done in the past few days I might just have to go get my 65 running again.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Good job. After seeing all you've done in the past few days I might just have to go get my 65 running again.

Am thinking about replacing the exhaust manifold. That old rusty thing is an eye sore.

I normally use PB Blaster as a penetrating liquid, but someone here mentioned something called B4 Wonder which would be better? I know I will need to soak those manifold bolts in it for a while before attempting to remove them.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
PB blaster usually works for me. Is it leaking? If not I would just leave it alone personally.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
PB blaster usually works for me. Is it leaking? If not I would just leave it alone personally.

I think it might be. When I crank it up I notice smoke coming from behind the valve cover near the firewall. I may wait until I go sometime this week and clean under the engine and underneath the hood, just to make sure.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts